Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

View Poll Results: How do you cope with your social anxiety?

Voters
1188. You may not vote on this poll
  • Medication

162 13.64%
  • Herbal Remedies

49 4.12%
  • Therapy

56 4.71%
  • Self-help

263 22.14%
  • A mixture of any of the above

428 36.03%
  • I don't cope

230 19.36%
Page 33 of 53 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
    I think your feedback is insightful and far from ignorant! Yes I am going to talk back to my anxiety. My job is relocating twenty miles further so now I have to be able to drive that. Time to see if this will work

Quote Originally Posted by Jon D Snow View Post
    I don't really suffer from anxiety anymore and haven't had a panic attack in a long time (about 3 years) but I found a mixture of therapy and self-help was the best fix for me.

It took me a long time to actually realise that nobody else was going to fix this but me, so I started meditating, read some books, and bought an online course and was eventually (after a lot of work) "cured". Still though, it's great to say that the majority of my symptoms haven't reared their ugly heads in a while
    Jon,

Great job! I learned a long time ago that taking responsibility for getting ourselves well is a key to finding success

Quote Originally Posted by surpassit View Post
    Personally I talk to my anxiety (or my sub-conscious). I get mad at it and tell it to leave my body. You have to confront it and tell it to stop making you feel the way you are feeling. You dont need to depend on meds.

Thats just my way of seeing things though. Sorry if i sound ignorant haha.

We all have different ways of coping.
    Not ignorant at all. In fact, what you are doing is a short-hand version of CBT and the TEA form exercise.

Awesome thread

I find meditation one of the best cures

For anyone interested in natural supplements...valerian root

I also find trying to go for as many walks as possible -- super oxygenating the body is always good

I really appreciate everything you've shared. I am hardly anxiety-free on anti depressants. So my doc and I decided to wean off, after 15 years . I am doing it slowly and when I get tearful and isolate I am reminded that I'm weaning too quickly. I'm off most of the Vistaril for sleep and I'm taking Valerian instead. Biggest change? Taking a supplement daily of magnesium, calcium, k2 and d3. My recent lands showed I was extremely low. And....Ta Da...I'm joining a gym this weekend and starting yoga! Myextreme panic when I drive the freeways is better w/breathing exercises in the car. And a meditation CD I listen to when driving. Please share your blog with me, I'd love to find out what's going on with you. And btw, mmHg hormone levels were very low showing full blown menopause, I can't win lol.!

Jon,
    I appreciate you posting this link on mindfulness. I am a strong advocate for mindfulness. Actually the name mind full ness sounds like uh oh, but it indeed is not that. As we stay present with that which we see, feel, hear, say, touch, walk, smell we enjoy the moment (or now as is popular). We become aware of what already is, and the subtle beauty we are as well as all others.

Peace
    "The One you are looking for, is the One looking."
    ---Gene Allen----

How I cope with my anxiety is mainly through breathing and focus. Really, natural self-taught strategies are still the best. But of course, do carry on with medication while you find out what methods work and what doesnt.

God bless

In gratitude,
    Ken A. Powell