I've had panic attacks off and on for ~ 3 years, but agoraphobia took me by surprise last September. I was home sick for a week, and then my truck wouldn't start. It took a week to fix it. So 2 weeks at home, and I was suddenly deathly afraid of leaving. I've made various lifestyle changes and have seen small improvements, but I still haven't been able to leave home. I've found a psychologist who is willing to do phone consultations, but how does an agoraphobic go about getting medical attention?

I want to get some testing done, specifically hormone levels. I've been tracking symptoms, and there seems to be a monthly pattern. If I can't get testing done, I at least want a consultation with a functional medicine doctor who can draw conclusions from symptoms.

I'm irritated and keep hitting dead ends. My general physician says she can prescribe 2 doses of valium to get me to and from her office, so that she can prescribe an anxiety med at her office. I'm at the point that I'm willing to try medication, but one dose of valium (after never taking anything like that) is not going to cut it to get me out of the house, 30 minutes down the road, and into a doctor's office. I feel like that's something I need to work up to, and she can only offer a one-shot deal. Just the stress of that idea drives me crazy. The doctor also said they don't do hormone testing on a woman who still has a regular period. Um, hormones can be skewed while I still have my period, so I don't get that. Anyway, even if the dose of valium worked, this isn't the doctor that I want to stick with.

I emailed a few functional medicine doctors. Most never responded, but the ones that did said I have to come in for my first visit. They can't recommend home visits or home health care without seeing me in the office first. That seems backwards. If I could get to the doctor, I wouldn't need a home visit, so thanks.

What do other agoraphobics or disabled people do?? How am I supposed to get medical help? The panic attacks originally came out of nowhere -- no negative thoughts, no worrying -- so I do believe there is a physical aspect there. Surely, there's a way to find a doctor who will do phone or Skype consultations, if not home visits.