Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anxiety about my cat

A little bit over a year ago, my little guy had to be put to sleep. I was generally pretty calm, albeit still sad, through the experience, but now I have begun to have a lot of sadness over his death.

For a little while after he died, I could have sworn that I heard him walking up and down the stairs, and possibly even create a few meows here and again (I don't remember much, as it was so long ago. Since then, he seems to have gone elsewhere and is awaiting the time when we can meet again). A couple of weeks after he died, I got super angry about something (something unrelated to this issue) and I chucked a green rubber ball at the wall backing-up the bed that he always liked to sit on. Since then, I have always feared that I may have somehow hurt him or scared him away by throwing the ball, and I am feeling rather depressed now... Is there anything I could do to help myself?

DISCLAIMER- I AM NOT INTENDING TO TRIGGER A DEBATE OVER SPIRITS AND OTHER SUPERNATURAL PHENOMENA, NOR AM I EXPECTING ANY OF YOU TO BE PROFESSIONAL PSYCHICS, MEDIUMS, INVESTIGATORS, OR PSYCHOLOGISTS.

Sorry to hear about your little guy. He's moved on from this journey to the next. The best thing for you to do is accept that and move forward. Your life is still going and that's what you need to focus on. Productivity for yourself. You can never replace a loved one but they wouldn't want you to suffer being alone either.

Thank you for the input!

I do get it that he is moving on to go elsewhere, but the main issue is the fact that I feel like I may have driven him away or scared him. And you know, I am so unsure how I am supposed to handle that piece of it.

our pets, are as long with us as long we need them. I lost many of them and I was hearing barking and scratching. Grieving it is serious business. You do not have anxiety (what a trendy word lately it become) you are grieving and it is just sadness
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

What I am mainly anxious about is the fact that I still need to be certain that he is still with me. I am pretty sure that he is, but I cannot live with any uncertainty at all.

And you say that you heard signs of your pets after they have died too?

My knowledge of physics would fit on the back of a postage stamp. Still, from what I gather, death is a very redundant term. For one, energy isn't known to just vanish. Second, the idea that there are extra dimensions in our physical universe is something that most scientists believe.

Your own opinion of death probably varies from mine, but I think we can both agree that nothing vanishes after dying. Even if you wanted to discard everything spiritual or religious, at the very, very least, that person or animal has become a part of your spirit. Their life becomes a part of the energy that drives you, that makes you who you are. That in a way is prolonging it.

I would agree with Dahila on this matter. I do think you're grieving. You don't have to cure every emotion with a smart thought. Some take their time to process. Most never really process, you just learn to understand them. Forming your own opinion of life and death takes time. Don't worry if it doesn't happen straight away.

And I am very, very sorry to hear about your loss. Animals really are family.

Thank you very much.

I do agree that life and death both are complicated matters, and that it makes absolutely no sense for us to just "exist" for no particular reason at all and that we are here out of pure coincedence. I mean, you are right about dying: we have plenty of evidence that proves that we don't just 'vanish" after physical death.

But that aside, my anxiety still makes death a very scary thought no matter what evidence or my beliefs state. It is quite annoying really. And, correlating with the actual topic of this thread, uncertainty about the welfare of my cat is killing me.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzillasaurus View Post
    A little bit over a year ago, my little guy had to be put to sleep. I was generally pretty calm, albeit still sad, through the experience, but now I have begun to have a lot of sadness over his death.

For a little while after he died, I could have sworn that I heard him walking up and down the stairs, and possibly even create a few meows here and again (I don't remember much, as it was so long ago. Since then, he seems to have gone elsewhere and is awaiting the time when we can meet again). A couple of weeks after he died, I got super angry about something (something unrelated to this issue) and I chucked a green rubber ball at the wall backing-up the bed that he always liked to sit on. Since then, I have always feared that I may have somehow hurt him or scared him away by throwing the ball, and I am feeling rather depressed now... Is there anything I could do to help myself?

DISCLAIMER- I AM NOT INTENDING TO TRIGGER A DEBATE OVER SPIRITS AND OTHER SUPERNATURAL PHENOMENA, NOR AM I EXPECTING ANY OF YOU TO BE PROFESSIONAL PSYCHICS, MEDIUMS, INVESTIGATORS, OR PSYCHOLOGISTS.
    If the cat has passed over he won't be one bit hurt or scared by the ball

Something you can do is - before you go to sleep ask the cat to come to you in your dreams or even to come when you're awake. I do this with my brother who died a year ago. I'm not very "psychic" when I'm awake so I do it when I'm going to sleep.

You could also make a little "shrine" for the cat with a picture of him and some things he liked. Then you can even leave things on it for him like some milk or whatever (the dead love milk and honey apparently). I have one for my brother and sometimes I make him a cup of tea lol.

All the best
    Gypsy x
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

A friend of mine heard her dog running on the tile floor of the kitchen towards the front door the first time she returned home from university after her dog had died. Death isn't the end. There doesn't need to be a God or religion for other dimensions to exist beyond the 3 dimensional realm that we see around us.

If you'd like to learn more I recommend reading a Seth book called The Eternal Validity of the Soul. It's a very powerful read and is free from religious constraints. It can remove the fear of death and help you achieve more than you ever thought possible in life.

I'm still making my way through the book and it's a truly eye opening experience and this is coming from an atheist who always trusted in science but was open to notions of spirituality.

Ed
    How strong, how costly, the urge to fight our fate and turn back time. But life is meant to be consumed, not preserved to ward off doom. One can surely die from fear, before the end is ever near.

gypsylee, great idea! I will see what I can do.

raggamuffin, how neat! I should give that a read.

Thank you both for your input!