Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quitting smoking

Well it's been 48 hours and 8 mins since my last cigarette.
    Just wondering if being really tired is normal.
    Apart from being tired I've being doing ok a little irritable but nothing too bad. I'm using patches and an inhaler thing.
    My anxiety has decreased just I'm really worried about feeling so tired. Is it normal should I not feel like I've got more energy?

GO HANNAH!!!

My mom quit smoking[after 8 years] and she was really really tired for like a day or two. She was also really angry, no patience haha. But she made it and so will you Hannah!

Go for walks and try to distract yourself in general. Don't give up!! Good luck!

Elias
    Proffesor deReal - at your service!

Thank you

I actually do feel less anxious already which is my main reason for doing it. I have my husbands support too as he is quitting too.
    That's fantastic your mum stopped and had been stopped so long.

It was just the tiredness that was worrying me thank you for reassuring me it's normal.
    I can do this :-)

Hannah

AWESOME - Best thing I ever did in my hole life was stop using that poison. Absolutely it's normal Hannah. Please consider using a fridge/wall calender and strike/X each day. There is so much I could write about - share my experience in how I beat the those damn cigs - please do gain control of that part of your life. Cigarettes should not be allowed to be sold in a Civilized World (Rolls eyes) ...

YOUR ARE DOING THAT RIGHT THING - cold turkey was the only way for me ... Make it a passion to destroy the urge and adopt an attitude that despises the cigarettes on a personal level. You will have a lot of anxiety - so put that abundance of broiling nerves into seeing those damn things for what they are, as to the governments that sell them - Don't worry if you bust - keep marking the calender and always say I gave up on Day X - never start your date from when you busted - this technique is very important.

Always keeping you start date the same regardless of busting thereafter helps to ensure that you don't cop out with "Oh My - have to start all over again - &^%# it - I'll try and give up next month or the one after that, or maybe next year ..." Happens all the time - So please keep vigilant and adopt a hard core attitude towards just how damaging those poisons sticks are!!!

I'll tell you something else Hannah - those damn things "enslave" you. That's right - they make you a slave. The damn things will have you out in the cold, while others are catching up on what matters - by the time you get back, you have missed the conversation completely - they have people running out half way through watching a movie - they have people acting like full time drug addicts ... "oh man, I really need a hit ... brb guys, have to step out for a min ..."

All those warnings and yucky pictures - take it all to heart ... What a filthy disgusting habit - think of it like eating an ashtray because at the end of the day, that's exactly the odor smoker put out, despite their attempts to freshen their breath. The attempt is no more than rinsing an ashtray - the scent still lingers and before long, they hit up again anyways.

Filthy Disgusting Self Harming Habit - Only people with low self esteem smoke - the more people face up to these facts the more people will see just how unattractive they appear to be. No more than suckers sucking on the end of a Death Wish.

Srry - but just trying to help you. Just because they sell the stuff and others kill themselves with it, does not make you any less of an addict. Treat yourself as an addict - accept the reality and act by giving the shit away once and for all.

Best of luck Hannah - Hope you find some encouragement in that?

Remember the Calender - X marks the spot --- regardless of any busts you may have - X marks the spot you saved your life! My first X was 15th 2007 - I busted twice - 2 weeks in and actually I have had one or two more whilst out camping - but they make me sick - thing is I can say I gave up over 7 years ago ... honestly don't let any slip up set you back - that is what addicts do.
    Last edited by Ponder; 06-27-2014 at 05:37 PM.

When I quit (I was a chain smoker) I was terribly tired and slept 12-14 hours a day. my body must be so happy not to have the poison pumping in my veins)
    I first and the most liberating expierence was FREEDOM
    Hannah I am here to help you if you need some tips , it is my 6th year, and no one believed me I quit............
    Then comes the sense of smell and it is always turning moment, when you realize how stinky you must be when you smoke
    Good decision !!!!
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

Hey petrified,
    I am glad that you are feeling good after quitting cigarette. Just keep this thing on and you will a free from every lust...

First few weeks will be the hardest but it does get easier. The tiredness and irritability will pass - just have to ride it out. Good luck.

Ed
    How strong, how costly, the urge to fight our fate and turn back time. But life is meant to be consumed, not preserved to ward off doom. One can surely die from fear, before the end is ever near.

Hannah how are u doing today?
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

Hi everyone

Thanks so much for your excellent, support, advice and encouragement. Well done to all you ex smokers too you show me that I can do this.

Today's been tough, I've been out at work all day. My nicotine patch fell off, I forgot my e tab and my work colleague had offered me countless cigarettes. But I didn't cave and still am smoke free.
    Dave I will be sorting a calendar tomorrow and that big red X will be going on there.

But one thing I must add today when I was offered those cigarettes I was terrified to have one. I'm scared now that if I have a cigarette I will feel ill. So having anxiety is actually helping me quit.
    I don't feel too clever today, groggy, sore throat, tired, migraine and a little under the weather but already I'm feeling benefits too. But it can only get better from here.

Hannah

Quote Originally Posted by petrified View Post
    Hi everyone

Thanks so much for your excellent, support, advice and encouragement. Well done to all you ex smokers too you show me that I can do this.

Today's been tough, I've been out at work all day. My nicotine patch fell off, I forgot my e tab and my work colleague had offered me countless cigarettes. But I didn't cave and still am smoke free.
    Dave I will be sorting a calendar tomorrow and that big red X will be going on there.

But one thing I must add today when I was offered those cigarettes I was terrified to have one. I'm scared now that if I have a cigarette I will feel ill. So having anxiety is actually helping me quit.
    I don't feel too clever today, groggy, sore throat, tired, migraine and a little under the weather but already I'm feeling benefits too. But it can only get better from here.

Hannah
    Now heres a lil secret to uncover :

Begin lesson: 5 years ago my wife got out of the hospital and they told her to quit smoking, so that moment we both quit never to look back. End of lesson.

Now, what can be discerned about that?

Dont say good for you !, or Wow that was brave!, or "happy for you guys" NO, what can you discern from that? What was the reason for the split second decision and the impetus for two 30 year 2 pack a day smokers to instantly quit as if they never smoked at all with no side effects?

Think !

Just what if.......................We would apply the same hidden principle to quit anxiety?

From our good friend Napoleon Hill :

There are six basic fears, with some combination of which every human suffers at one time or another. Most people are fortunate if they do not suffer from the entire six. Named in the order of their most common appearance, they are:-

The fear of POVERTY
    The fear of CRITICISM
    The fear of ILL HEALTH
    The fear of LOSS OF LOVE
    The fear of OLD AGE
    The fear of DEATH

The impetus for my wife ? - The fear of Ill health, the fear of death .. For me? The fear of loss of love

What then is your motive for quitting cigarettes? For if there is no motive there is no lasting commitment. One may use the fears to continue to smoke as well, by analogy for the same reason that a man continues to walk the tightrope without a net. There is a thrill as one experiences the fear. As survival becomes a game.

By examining your fears, out of the 6, with honesty, and the associated pangs of feelings as you soul search, and thus in the end easing their grip on you, in terms of anxiety which is what this forum is about, that will diminish.

Finally, when you scan the fears, you will intuitively feel one or more, stop, let the feeling grow into pangs of anxiety begin, then at once focus your gaze on the moving pictures in your mind that the emotion translates into. That is how you find and heal.
    Last edited by Im-Suffering; 06-28-2014 at 12:17 PM.