Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Unhappy Difficulty talking to people with anxiety about my anxiety

Basically, does anyone else have trouble talking to people with anxiety about anxiety?
    Last edited by catsandcookies; 01-03-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Not in general, no. I don't have trouble talking to them about it, I find it is always helpful to speak about it to someone who can understand. The way they respond definitely affects whether or not I'll speak to them about it again. I've had rare occasions when the person swears they cured their anxiety and is going to tell you exactly how to do it in an obnoxious manner. Or that always have it worse off than you, no matter what. What a turn off.

Can you elaborate on why you have trouble? Is it just others with anxiety or in general? I know it's often hard to put what you are going through into words, you may feel that your issues seem lame in the face of someone else's troubles but that is not true. People who understand what it is like to be anxious can be more supportive and relatable than those that don't. At least they are less likely to throw stupid cliches in your face - "you have so much to be thankful for", "just look on the bright side of things", "don't be so negative"....ugh...

are you saying hearing about other people's anxiety triggers yours?

Hi there and welcome for me I dont really have a problem talking about anxiety it only becomes an issue when people dont understand or tell you to get on with life snap out of it. I'm still looking for the magic button that turns it all off

Hmm yes, I find it difficult for 2 reasons:
    1) I'm ashamed of it. I know I shouldn't be, but talking about it makes me feel pathetic. I know people usually can't understand and I think they think I'm crazy or cranky. Also I feel stupid when listening to myself talking about my irrational fears.
    2) It triggers more anxiety sometimes, especially if I'm talking about a specific phobia.

Edit: I'm sorry, now I saw you were talking about discussing with people with anxiety. I haven't ever spoken to one, in person... :/
    Last edited by DizzyPixie; 01-03-2017 at 03:25 PM.

I can talk to my sister she understands as she suffers from anxiety as well. The rest of my family I tend to speak of it in more general terms. I find it is not that helpful to discuss the details of every little fear I have, it does tend to sound stupid out loud. I know it is irrational. More it is about just saying hey I'm having a hard time lately, and hopefully they will say aw I'm sorry for you. Just support, not necessarily advice or trying to fix it for you. Though I usually find it is well intentioned, so it's fine. Unless they pull out the whole "snap out of it" crap then I just want to punch them in the face lol. That's just dismissive and rude.

I much prefer to talk about it here, there is a certain courage that comes with the anonymity of the computer. My suggestion is to share with people who you know will be supportive, and don't even bother with the rest, there's really no point.

I agree with DizzyPixie, the shame inhibits me to talk about it face to face with anyone with or without anxiety. I wouldn't know if they did have anxiety problems unless they said so.
    I'm new here so I'll find out if it works virtually.

I don't really tell anyone except for those closest to me because I think they will think of it as a personal weakness, handicap or alike. One thing that helps me with the GAD is to not focus on it, especially in normal conversation. Getting into a good conversation for me is very therapeutic.