Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenFairy View Post
    Hello,

I have had this issue for most of my adult life, where I shout to myself and I cant controll it. I mainly do it in the car, shower or when I am alone but have done it in front of people aswell.

I shout random things out loud, earlier I was driving home and screamed 'but im a nice person' to myself, I cant remember what I was thinking about. I also shout out an ex's name something that I have not seen for a few years (there are no hard feelings about the relationship)

Sometimes it gets so bad that I am laying down screaming at the top of my voice, it only get this bad when I am very stressed about something though, my housemate heard me and commented about it, he said that I was mental... (he is a bit of a knob anyway)

I have been to the doctors for anxiety and depression before but never mentioned the shouting.

I think the work one I have done is being on a packed train and shouted 'kill me' quite loud....

From what I am saying it may sound like I think I have turettes but I dont think it is anything to do with that, as I seem to hav more controll over it when around people.

what is it, and can i do anything about it?

Thanks
    Tourette syndrom is often made worse by anxiety. So you may want to get that checked out. It is nothing to be embarrassed about and it is quite manageable. I am not sure if anxiety can cause it, but I do know it can have an influence on people who already have it.

I was so happy to read these posts. For years I have been trying to find someone who also has this strange involuntary speech. Almost everything I have read here matches my 'condition' exactly.

I have been searching the web for years and have obviously only now stumbled across the right keywords to bring up this thread.

My friends all think it's hilarious and call it my 'poor man's Tourettes' but I'm certain it's not that. It is however much worse if I am anxious or hungover or feeling shame for any reason.

I must sort of have control of it because I do much less around people - although that does happen.

I hope you don't mind but I would be so interested to hear more from everyone else who does this.

Take care,

P

Quote Originally Posted by PollyPolly View Post
    I was so happy to read these posts. For years I have been trying to find someone who also has this strange involuntary speech. Almost everything I have read here matches my 'condition' exactly.

I have been searching the web for years and have obviously only now stumbled across the right keywords to bring up this thread.

My friends all think it's hilarious and call it my 'poor man's Tourettes' but I'm certain it's not that. It is however much worse if I am anxious or hungover or feeling shame for any reason.

I must sort of have control of it because I do much less around people - although that does happen.

I hope you don't mind but I would be so interested to hear more from everyone else who does this.

Take care,

P
    this post encapsulates my experience. had to make an account to say so and thanks to all.

Quote Originally Posted by yteixna1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PollyPolly View Post

Take care,

P
    this post encapsulates my experience. had to make an account to say so and thanks to all.
    Echoing this, as I feel the same.

I've tried to reply to this one today, but just wasn't sure if my 2 cents were needed/wanted. I will admit I talk to myself and I'm quite certain that people have caught me over the years. Sometimes, I would catch myself muttering under my breath and my lips were visibly carrying on a conversation by myself, and when I realized it I was mortified. I've not read this thread in its entirety (yet), but an old friend gave me the trick of the lifetime and I've used it and it has worked for me while in public.

Here's my trick while out in public and it so simply it almost silly. I just picked up a phone earpiece and I do wear it when in public now so if I'm caught muttering, people think I'm on the phone talking to somebody lol.

And yes, it is (was) much worse hungover!

I have found my people.

I have been to the doctors for anxiety and depression before but never mentioned the shouting.
    I find this the most surprising of what you wrote.

Anyway, go see a doctor about this. This needs to be evaluated. I would think you would also like to know what is going on with this, so I would think the curiosity would motivate you to get it checked out.

Your doctor can't help you if you don't tell him/her what's going on. Trust me, you aren't going to tell them anything they haven't heard before a bunch of times.

for me the key here lies in control:

"where I shout to myself and I cant controll it"

this is like how OCD works... obsession of the mind that bugs you to death that you try to control and shut off and talk away and manage... but nothing helps till you take the desired action... shouting, crying, locking doors 500 times, ect...

what helps me is realizing the freedom of not having to control these things... at times it can be tough... but it works.

here is a little video i did on anxiety and what i do about it. its focused for my addiction site but its more about anxiety than addiction.

if you like my comments you can check out my little videos on anxiety and sobriety here:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ps: although i like to answer people and help them with anxiety... i am not even close to having it "all figured out" i'm just one out of 8 billion people navigating life to the best of my abilities... and i found some things that work for me :-) hope it helps you too.

Does anyone shout predominantly names? I say the name of my ex boyfriends. It takes a while for a name to leave the repertoire. All the break ups have been on good terms. It takes a new boyfriend a couple of years before I start saying their name.

I'd be also interested to know how your relationships are with your families? I left home young and am estranged from mine. I sometimes wonder if this is related. The shouting started a year or two after I moved out. Also it was around this time that I started drinking socially much more. I still do that.