Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    It's important to address issues like this as early as possible. It's harder to get out of a situation that you've been in for so long as you might get used to it and feel that it's normal.

just checking in, I have not found a cure, I think the cause though, is from a manic episode I had back in December of 2020.

I still occasionally yell, I haven't caught myself doing it in public as of late; and only periodically while driving. I notice I do it at home, on occasion, when intrusive or ruminating thoughts happen... I think I am doing it, as a soothing or distracting method to I guess combat the intrusive/ruminating thoughts; maybe.

Or sometimes I feel so lonely, and I burst out in a yell.

Shrugs

I guess it beats doing something harmful.

I had a friend of mine years ago who used to yell very loudly in a car or a similar place when he became stressed. He called it an Indian yell. He said he felt better afterwards and less stressed.

Upgrade:

Last edited by Ponder; 05-31-2021 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    I had a friend of mine years ago who used to yell very loudly in a car or a similar place when he became stressed. He called it an Indian yell. He said he felt better afterwards and less stressed.
    That's actually true. You'll feel better after letting it all out. I think every person has a different outlet and some prefer this.

It's a good thing that he knows how he'd feel better.

It makes me feel better when I scream my heart out. I think that's important that we're able to release all the emotions that we're keeping inside.

I used to talked to myself whenever I'm thinking of something that needs decision but, I don't shout. Shouting at yourself is a different level and needs medical attention as soon as possible.

Perhaps this is what some you need in a controlled environment?

It's nothing new. Just repackaged and sold off as 'Primal Therapy' - 'Scream Therapy' - 'Primal Scream Therapy' Depends on the author and the program being sold. I was subject to it back in around the mid 80's nearing some 35 years ago now. My experience was in a group session and for me I found it overly confronting. Whilst some proponents claim that the therapy is good for individuals with a 'fractured' inner child, particularly victims whos voice was bound by oppressive others, environments and acts, this therapy can also have the reverse effect that is synonymous with the reliving effect.

That said, just because I am one of the ones that has an adverse reaction to this kind of therapy (extremely traumatic childhood) does not mean it 'could' be useful to a few. Personally having live long enough now, I can see more pitfalls to this kind of therapy in a world as is today.

1stly the marketing campaigns for it do not warn enough about the adverse reactions which is common if you think in terms of GPs and Pharmaceuticals. Sure you can get benefits but you really have to educate yourself and shop around gauging the potential not from other peoples experiences but more your own.

2ndly The very nature of our world today looks to make people reliant. This kind of therapy if at all useful, is something to be tried and then move on. It's not something you want to be stuck in as it may exacerbate an already deep seeded and destructive coping mechanism. Very problematic for those of us with compulsive issues; also on the rise.

I'll leave it at that. I'd love to write more but think that's essence enough. Finding a release a very important. I've been subject to so much anger and bitterness that this kind of therapy is not good for me. It actually worries me that it's being sold as a form of Yoga more akin to a fad. No doubt it's a good marketing strategy being presented like that. Roll Up - Roll Up! Just bring something loose and bright and we'll start selling Primal Attire with Scream Therapy Mats! Whoever screams the loudest gets to go first.

I realise my musings here is not about uncontrolled shouting or screaming but maybe if you look into it you might find this primal thing for you. None of us want to go around yelling and screaming all day in a world beyond our control. I myself find solace in a more controlled outlet that does not rely on screaming. I have been in these groups and that's the first thing you start with in order to go first. To much competing in such a toxic way made me sick to the core. I picked myself up, packed my sack and walked several kilometers before hitching a ride on the nearest main road and never looked back at said therapy ever again. But that's just my experience - yours may be different!

But hey - apparently it works great for buddying athletes, singers, actors and so on. I think the controversy is well warranted myself as explained above. You just need to know what your getting into and those who have had a very abusive childhood would probably do well to find another avenue. Those selling it need to be more clear.

The concept has potential but needs more fine tuning with different outlets that are more aligned to an individuals make up. The is no one size fits all in these marketed therapy's. Be very wary of any therapy when sold like so.
    Last edited by Ponder; 09-01-2021 at 04:08 PM.

If so Pedro, my intelligence must be off the charts!

I left you message in my thread ... go check it out.

Srry if the last one reads as a pop up!