Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Short term use of Xanax

Hey everyone - I'm taking Xanax after what I believe is an isolated incident of a panic attack (lot of stuff going on, including a divorce). I've been doing much better and no repeat, although definitely a bit shaky emotionally. I've been on Xanax for 5 days counting today, .5mg. The first two days I took 3 of those each day. The next two days I only took 2. Today I've taken only one and I'm hoping I won't need a second.

I've read about weaning yourself off of Xanax, which seems particularly important in long-term use to avoid withdrawal symptoms. Does anyone know if I should be concerned about reducing my intake to 1/ day or to zero given it's been so short? That's the only concern I have, withdrawal symptoms. I doubt that I could have built up much dependency yet, but I really don't know.

Re: Short term use of Xanax

Quote Originally Posted by beardofzeus
    Hey everyone - I'm taking Xanax after what I believe is an isolated incident of a panic attack (lot of stuff going on, including a divorce). I've been doing much better and no repeat, although definitely a bit shaky emotionally. I've been on Xanax for 5 days counting today, .5mg. The first two days I took 3 of those each day. The next two days I only took 2. Today I've taken only one and I'm hoping I won't need a second.

I've read about weaning yourself off of Xanax, which seems particularly important in long-term use to avoid withdrawal symptoms. Does anyone know if I should be concerned about reducing my intake to 1/ day or to zero given it's been so short? That's the only concern I have, withdrawal symptoms. I doubt that I could have built up much dependency yet, but I really don't know.
    xanax is safe to be taken 0.5 over a period of more months
    no worries!

take care
    Doc
    With nice wishes, your Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel that you need a pharmaceutical means of dealing with the extreme stress that you are experiencing, it is very important to discuss alternatives with your Health Care Provider. Since Xanax only works to suppress anxiety, it is very important to address the cause of your panic and stress. I would advise working along with a Mental Health Care Professional at this time in your life.Continue practicing relaxation techniques several times a day, even at times you are not feeling particularly stressed. You might want to use a relaxation tape to guide you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    technique without medications