Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Anxiety out of nowhere

My first dealings with anxiety was back in 2005 my Mother passed away and it hit me after her funeral. I was put on meds but HATED the way they made me feel so I stopped taking them. I've been ok until back in March I was in a head on car accident (It wasn't my fault) since then my anxiety has come back full force and some days comes from nowhere!! Does anyone have any advice as to why it comes from nowhere or how I can control it without meds?

Over medicating to deal with death of a family member prolongs the grieving process.

Takes a while to get over car accidents. I don't drive now, but when I'm riding in the car, I'm always waiting for that crash of being rear-ended and its been well over 4 years since that accident.

Best of luck.

As in your case, anxiety can be triggered by past events. You may be thinking of it subconsciously. I would try to practice relaxation techniques and try to distract yourself with things you enjoy.

I’m so sorry to hear about your loss and your struggles, friend. I know how difficult it must be for you to go through anxiety. I’d suggest that you talk to a therapist/counselor. A caring professional might be able to give you solid guidance. Also, look for things to do to keep your mind off of your negative feelings. Maybe you could pursue an activity, sport, or hobby that you enjoy and that makes you feel good. Physical exercise has the added benefit of helping to relieve negative emotions naturally. Remember that you deserve to feel better. I just said a prayer for you, and I hope that God will surround you with His comfort, strength, and peace. Take good care of yourself. Hugs!

Yes, it's possible that removing the routine of medication has created a delayed effect of anxiety that oftentimes can strike harder than prior to the medication being taking regularly. The best place to start would be to speak to a therapist / psychiatrist as to alternatives besides medicine if that is the issue here. There are natural ways to deal with anxiety and so I'd recommending investigating. Tea, herbal remedies (St. Johns Wort is a great mild natural solution) or simply adjusting diet could all help. Either way, I hope you find the help you're seeking.

Best wishes,

M

Thank you for the message!! I do believe the next step is to speak with someone professionally. I know that a lot of the anxiety is from my car accident but I wish it would just go away!! I am leaving this Friday for a 500 mile one way trip for a family wedding so I know I will be full that day!! I just pray it's easier than what it has been. I've been trying so hard to be better but at this point talking with someone I think is best. It just comes from nowhere. Like the other day I was in the store and BOOM it hit... I just left everything and came home. It's frustrating to say the least!

Anxiety is a tricky experience. Sometimes it’s clear why we’re having these unpleasant sensations in our stomach area, a pounding heart or sweaty palms. Maybe a family member hasn’t called in a while and we’re worried about them. There’s an exam coming up and we’re dreading it. Or we’re supposed to go to a party and mingle with people even though we don’t feel like it at all. But at other times, anxiety can hit us out of nowhere.