Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Really Scared Right Now

This past long weekend, I kept sleeping and lying down a little more than usual which eventually caused some pretty bad upper back pain on Tuesday. I'm not sure what triggered it but on Tuesday I began to feel an incredible amount of anxiety. That night I could not sleep at all and I woke up at 5 in the morning unable to go to sleep because I kept feeling what I think is chest discomfort. I'm positively sure that the chest discomfort is coming from the back pain but I'm freaking out that it could be my heart. Furthermore, when I slept on my left side, I could hear my heart making a fairly audible flapping sound everytime it beat and I could feel it beating which only scared me more. The back pain hasn't gone away and neither has the weird chest discomfort or anxiety. I've recently been feeling a lump in my throat (but my anxiety keeps telling me it's coming from my heart) along with a lot of burping which concerns me since I'm not gassy usually. I can't sleep right now and all I'm thinking are scary, negative thoughts. I don't even want to sleep on my side because I fear that I'll experience the same feeling. I just need some advice or reassurance I'm order to get me through the night. I haven't slept well in days. I feel so sleepy but my mind is awake. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyduderox View Post
    This past long weekend, I kept sleeping and lying down a little more than usual which eventually caused some pretty bad upper back pain on Tuesday. I'm not sure what triggered it but on Tuesday I began to feel an incredible amount of anxiety. That night I could not sleep at all and I woke up at 5 in the morning unable to go to sleep because I kept feeling what I think is chest discomfort. I'm positively sure that the chest discomfort is coming from the back pain but I'm freaking out that it could be my heart. Furthermore, when I slept on my left side, I could hear my heart making a fairly audible flapping sound everytime it beat and I could feel it beating which only scared me more. The back pain hasn't gone away and neither has the weird chest discomfort or anxiety. I've recently been feeling a lump in my throat (but my anxiety keeps telling me it's coming from my heart) along with a lot of burping which concerns me since I'm not gassy usually. I can't sleep right now and all I'm thinking are scary, negative thoughts. I don't even want to sleep on my side because I fear that I'll experience the same feeling. I just need some advice or reassurance I'm order to get me through the night. I haven't slept well in days. I feel so sleepy but my mind is awake. Thanks!
    I'm having similar issues to what your having, always thinking its my heart and worried what's going to happen next, which happens to make us worse. This is uncontrollable for me too at least up to now, I have good days and bad days, night time's been the worst. I think if this problem continues it may be a good idea to go see your doctor.. maybe they will prescribe something to help ... I have my appointment with him today! Hopefully this gets sorted quickly for you, there's nothing worse and can really put a terrible strain on life.

I have the heartbeat problem too. I try to avoid sleeping on my left side. That may be easier said than done, but maybe try that. Avoid sleeping on that side, sleep on the other side so your heartbeat isn't echoing through the mattress. Also, try following your breath. Breathe in and count 1, then breathe out and cout 2, all the way to 10. Then repeat. See if that helps you fall asleep.

When I can feel my heart beating, focusing all my attention on my breath and counting 1 for the in-breath, 2 for the out-breath, up to 10, works. I keep repeating until I can't feel my heart beat anymore.