Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Unhappy New in town: anxiety and loneliness

Hey
    So i have never posted on a forum before or anything even like one, but I could really use some people to talk to. So I have OCD and Panic Disorder. I was diagnosed when I was ten and have gone in and out of remissions ever since. I am a sophomore in college now and recently transferred to a new school and am living away from home for the first time. I thought it wouldn't effect me that much, but WOW. So many of my OCD symptoms have come back and I am having trouble eating, leaving my apartment, and going to classes. I've been here for 2 months now and go home every weekends because it is too difficult to stay at school. I don't know what to do and what makes everything worse is that I haven't made any friends yet so when classes end things get very boring and boredom + anxiety do not mix! I have so many doubts, which is not like me so that causes more anxiety. Is this just part of the college transition? Do others have experience moving away from home and dealing with anxiety? That and making friends. I feel like I'm the only one who is not transitioning very easily.
    Anyways, does anyone else have any experience with this? I'd really love to hear how others coped with transitioning to college or if anyone is still going through it now.
    Lexa
    Last edited by lexa77; 04-01-2015 at 02:38 PM.

Hi there Lexa and welcome your post is fine!

I never went to college (it isn't as common in Australia) but I've read quite a few posts here from people finding it difficult to cope with college. I think it's partly because anxiety and other mental illnesses surface in the late teens/early 20s, which is generally college age. Mine was diagnosed at 19yo and I had to defer from university for a year because I couldn't cope at all. No way would I have handled being at college during that.

Anyway I hope you find some support and friends here

All the best,
    Gypsy x
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer