Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

HELP- My Panic Attacks have returned and they are crippling me

This is my first post on this forum. I've heard a lot of good things from people who are on this site.

I'm 24 years old, and have dealt with anxiety/panic attacks on and off for five years now. I thought I had them under control for the past few years, where I was at the point of taking no medication and living a normal life.

Two weeks ago I was sleeping at my girfriends house when we were awoken in the middle of the night and for some reason that caused me to have a severe panic attack. Since then I've had two more panic attacks, including one today at the dentist.

I'm taking clonazepam 0.5 when needed, some days I try to go without out and some days (like today) I'm forced to take it.

I've been on citalopram (Celexa)for the entire five years, with my dosage started at 2 pills a day and it was down to just half a pill.

But last week my Doc put back on 1.5 pills a day in the morning.

It's been very hard for me to work, socialize. I've quit coffee for the last 2 weeks and started drinking more water. But I'm still anxious a lot, and sometimes it results in a panic attack which is the scariest thing for me.

My parents don't understand it, my girlfriend doesn't understand it.

To top everything off I'm getting married in less than 6 months.

Do you guys have any advice for me to conquer this again?

Thanks,

Rob,

Quote Originally Posted by robert337733
    This is my first post on this forum. I've heard a lot of good things from people who are on this site.

I'm 24 years old, and have dealt with anxiety/panic attacks on and off for five years now. I thought I had them under control for the past few years, where I was at the point of taking no medication and living a normal life.

Two weeks ago I was sleeping at my girfriends house when we were awoken in the middle of the night and for some reason that caused me to have a severe panic attack. Since then I've had two more panic attacks, including one today at the dentist.

I'm taking clonazepam 0.5 when needed, some days I try to go without out and some days (like today) I'm forced to take it.

I've been on citalopram (Celexa)for the entire five years, with my dosage started at 2 pills a day and it was down to just half a pill.

It's been very hard for me to work, socialize. I've quit coffee for the last 2 weeks and started drinking more water. But I'm still anxious a lot, and sometimes it results in a panic attack which is the scariest thing for me.

Thanks,

Rob,
    I've had the same issue. I started getting bad anxiety at around 17... Most likely childhood issues that went unresolved. The panic attacks lasted about a year. Then, just ad quickly as they came, they left. I started getting them again about 5 years later... Out of nowhere... AND after working with a therapist about some issues. I am 42 now... And I recently started having them again... They started while I was in traffic in my car about 4 months ago. I also take a half of a .5 milligram xanax pill as needed. And I'm on prosac for depression. 20 milligrams a day.
    The thing I tell myself no matter how uncomfortable or shitty I feel during high anxiety or "panic" is that "it can't hurt me". No matter how bad it feels, "it can't hurt me"...

Quote Originally Posted by robert337733 View Post

Thanks,

Rob,
    First off, don't make a big deal about panic attacks returning. Don't put any importance on them. Second, you are getting married and that will cause anyone to get nervous.
    The answer to your problem is the same for everyone. Just focus on getting it better. You probably just didn't completely heal from anxiety, and if you rely on meds, they are just acting as a bandaid. Try and focus on becoming anxiety disorder free completely so eventually you won't need to take anything.

Panic attacks are nonsense bullshit bluff and they are insignificant so treat them as such.

When the first sign of the panic comes follow this step by step: http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showth...-Panic-Attacks

Adopt some of the techniques I used to get past anxiety here: http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showth...xiety-Disorder