Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Exactice just ignore him, he upsets or was upsetting me too, it is in the past. I commented for the benefit of others, especially Realistic Train
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

LOL

As much as PanicCured is a shit-stirrer, I agree with him in that doctors overlook some of the simple things related to anxiety disorder.

I saw GPs, psychiatrists and psychologists about it for twenty years and *not one* of them tried to explain the nervous system to me. I did some research last year into how deep breathing works on anxiety and learned things that I really wished someone had told me years ago. I've been on every psych medication under the sun and had some very bad experiences with them. Perhaps this could've been avoided if someone had told me to learn how to breathe properly and explained how it works.
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Not sure Dr's would prescribe me any opiate pain killers. Don't think I'd want to take them anyway. Just hard knowing I could have this chronic pain for decades. It adds to depression, knowing that basically I can't function as a man due to the pain the epididymitis causes which means I couldn't have sex unless I want to be in near crippling pain for days afterwards. Makes me rather resentful when I see people in couples or friends talking about dating and relationships. it's something I'd like once anxiety and depression is more manageable and yet I don't think I'm going to be able to do that again fort a very long time.

Oh well, i'll speak to the GP about the nerve blocker medication and see what they suggest cos it's very hard going on like this. This recent flare up is quite bad.

Ed
    How strong, how costly, the urge to fight our fate and turn back time. But life is meant to be consumed, not preserved to ward off doom. One can surely die from fear, before the end is ever near.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsylee View Post
    LOL

As much as PanicCured is a shit-stirrer, I agree with him in that doctors overlook some of the simple things related to anxiety disorder.

I saw GPs, psychiatrists and psychologists about it for twenty years and *not one* of them tried to explain the nervous system to me. I did some research last year into how deep breathing works on anxiety and learned things that I really wished someone had told me years ago. I've been on every psych medication under the sun and had some very bad experiences with them. Perhaps this could've been avoided if someone had told me to learn how to breathe properly and explained how it works.
    Doctors and psychiatrists do get a bad rep when it comes to mental health. And believe me, we know this. You must understand that over the ages, medicine has always been "practical", as in, solutions to problems that you can see and easily diagnose.

Mental health is much more difficult to diagnose and treat simply because there is so much we don't know about it. In addition, we as doctors can only treat what you tell us you feel; in other words, it's not like a tumour where it's physically present and we can find it.

But above all, doctors get a bad rep simply because of how frusturated patients are that there is so little research and development to create better medicine. We still use antidepressants that are decades old. And they don't work as well as we'd like them to. Trust me, we know that. There's just not much that we can do.

Patients come to doctors to get relief, and get it quickly. Our job is to do everything we can on the medical side to help you as soon as possible. But teaching yourself how to cope with anxiety takes a tremendous amount of effort and time. And that mental will power is inherently reduced by sufferers of mental disorders. Quite literally, the very nature of the disease is to weaken your mind and body to the point where you just can't help yourself. And that's where the medicine comes in. And we know about the herbs and supplements and alternative treatments, but there just isn't enough proof that they work for a lot of people. If it works for you, you're one of the lucky ones. But for millions of Americans, antidepressants have had a significant positive impact on their lives...and they've brought many people back to a normal life from the deepest pits of despair.
    - Dr. Dan

Quote Originally Posted by raggamuffin View Post
    Not sure Dr's would prescribe me any opiate pain killers. Don't think I'd want to take them anyway. Just hard knowing I could have this chronic pain for decades. It adds to depression, knowing that basically I can't function as a man due to the pain the epididymitis causes which means I couldn't have sex unless I want to be in near crippling pain for days afterwards. Makes me rather resentful when I see people in couples or friends talking about dating and relationships. it's something I'd like once anxiety and depression is more manageable and yet I don't think I'm going to be able to do that again fort a very long time.

Oh well, i'll speak to the GP about the nerve blocker medication and see what they suggest cos it's very hard going on like this. This recent flare up is quite bad.

Ed
    Ed,

Have you tried anti-inflammatory medication such as certain steroids? They might help in some cases. If it really becomes unbearable, surgery might be the only way to go. Patients frequently freeze their sperm before the surgery to use in the future for reproduction, but sterility almost always means a complete loss of sexual drive or ability. Medically, I would recommend pain-killers to deal with the pain and to wait it out. It's just less risky than surgery, and obviously less painful. There are side-effects, but many people manage pain with opiates for years and are able to function quite normally. It's definately a discussion you should have with your doctor. All the best to you.
    - Dr. Dan

Would you be able to recommend a possible steroid that might have some effect? Post surgery would mean no sex drive or ability? That's pretty horrific. The Dr gave me gabapentin. x84 300 mg tablets. Said to start with one tonight. Then 2 tomorrow and then 3 from then on wards.

Would you recommend Gabapentin over long term pain killer use? My dad has been on a concoction of medications for over 40 years and he's 79 now so I know people can get along with them fine. I just never really wanted to be on a medication long term, it doesn't sit right with me.

But if it's that or being in pain chronically I guess I would have to take the medication route. Thanks again for your help on this. If you could let me know about the steroid options I'd be grateful.

Ed
    How strong, how costly, the urge to fight our fate and turn back time. But life is meant to be consumed, not preserved to ward off doom. One can surely die from fear, before the end is ever near.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahila View Post
    Panic cured you never agree with anyone, your purpose on this forum is to convince everyone that your are right. ) People avoid discussing with your for a good reason)
    I just send the message about making it sticky, maybe it will work.

Dahlia my purpose is to help others like others helped me. You just want to make it a challenge rather than listening to common sense. I agree with people that had anxiety and then now they do not. If doctors can cure anxiety nobody here would have anxiety. Actually nobody in the world would as all you would have to do is go see a doctor and you are all patched up. If you only just followed the advice I gave you about a year ago you would be anxiety free by now. But you'd rather spend your time fighting me and all common logic instead of getting better. You are a great example of someone who would rather be right than be happy. My methods work, as they are based on the only methods that work. Every book, program or anything that helps people get past anxiety all say the same stuff. A doctor can't get you there. If you just followed my stuff you would be better. Or Just follow anyone's methods that had anxiety and then now they don't. But this is just annoying to you. I'll come back in 5 years and you will still be on this website.
    Last edited by PanicCured; 11-08-2014 at 05:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exactice View Post
    OH and I thought I was the only one, this guy pissed me off in another thread, But I realized he is a hypocrite. Anyways Hopefully we just ignore home and keep this awesome thread active as there are members here trying to help!
    Oh I pissed you off in MY THREAD? I wrote great advice and you took up 3 pages explaining that anxiety can be a normal fight or flight response. Like who doesn't know this? Another guy who talks and talks but doesn't listen. Maybe if you stop talking one day and listen to those giving you good advice you may finally graduate off this site.

If you read what I wrote here and this bothers you or annoys you or you think it should be ignored, you have some serious issues! There is so much solid advice in there I can't even believe you would say ignore me. Really unbelievable! What is better this or every other thread asking if they are going to die?

Quote Originally Posted by PanicCured View Post
    I do not agree with you. Medication does not cure an anxiety disorder and when you say people do not respond to other means, that is not true. That just did not do the proper work. They either simply found a way to avoid what needs to be done such as face their fears, or they simply have not been taught how, because doctors give them pills and tell them to just relax. Most people do not do what needs to be done. If you probe you will see. But the people that took initiative and went full speed, they get better. Even if there is a biochemical cause such as a thyroid issue, blood sugar issue, Vitamin D deficiency, etc., when you go full speed you end up finding this stuff out. What I mean is, if you are totally motivated to get better and you will seek every treatment you need and do everything possible in your life to overcome it, you will find what you need and you will get better.

"doctors believe in the medicine" But pharmaceuticals do not cure anxiety so what you believe is irrelevant. A cure means they do not need to take or do anything anymore, they are normal and their body has returned to a balanced state. Some people may need an SSRI or a Benzo, sure, but it is not a cure. SSRIs are not easy to get off either and calling it "discontinuation syndrome" may sound better than withdrawal but really is it?

I was hyperventilating all the time. Not one doctor said anything to me about this. I read a book on Buteyko breathing techniques, practiced it for 5 days and my anxiety cut in half. I then continuted to practice it and learned to not overbreathe, which can lead to anxiety. And as you know, oxygen is released from the hemoglobin via the CO2 partial pressure difference, and when one overbreathes, too much CO2 is released, which causes oxygen molecules to not be released to your organs and brain from the red blood cells. The more I hyperventilated the less oxygen my body was getting. The dizzyness, and many symptoms in a panic attack have to do with too much CO2 being released from too much breathing. When I did exercises to underbreathe, such as with the Buteyko method, I was able to slowly retrain my respiratory centers of my brain, and more oxygen was released. I could feel warmth throughout my body after about 10-15 minutes of doing it. I did these exercises at least twice a day. Most importantly, I learned to breathe through my nose and keep my breathing calm and not to overbreathe. The old paper bag thing. Although I suppose that is considered not safe anymore to breathe into a paper bag. Little things like this are true healing. Learning that when a panic attack comes, to sit and be still and ride it out rather than run for a safe place.

It's like someone who is scared to fly. The worst thing to do is not fly. They need to get educated and then fly and deal with it. But a lot of people with anxiety mold their life to their disorder. This causes the disorder to go deeper. They put limits on themselves because, "I have anxiety so I do not do that." There is a lot more, but I have wrote it all elsewhere on this site. My point is, there is real healing and it works, but the person has to be willing to do the work. and let's face it, a lot of people simply won't go full speed and want instant relief. But why don't doctors say here is a Benzo to take for the temporary relief but take only of you need it, but here is the list of what you must do to reap long term benefit. The goal should be to eventually not need anything. Yet we have the whole addiction aspect of it which throws the whole thing off.

Although certain herbs and supplements can do what medication can't, which is nourish and heal the overly sensitive nervous system, ultimately, the most important is retraining the brain by changing behavior patterns and facing their fears with proper knowledge.

A simple as this sounds, it works. I wrote this a while ago. Practicing techniques like this, is what I consider true healing and this begins with a mindset to do whatever it takes: http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showth...-Panic-Attacks

I'm sorry PanicCured but you are a waste of time. If Dahlia is doing so badly and hasn't "graduated off this site" what does that say about you? What are you still doing on here. If anxiety is non existent you wouldn't feel the need to be on this site. Much less still posting many years after you are "cured". Beat it.