PDA

View Full Version : looking for support

lady-d73
03-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Hi I,m Donna I have had anxiety for a long time, now it has turned into panic attacks. I just started taking 10mg of Paxil daily for about tow weeks now. It sure would be great to talk with people who is experiencing the same thing that I do.

alankay
03-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Donna, welcome and keep working with your doc. Paxil is a good med. Just take as Rx'ed. I bet he has you going to 20mg in time? It takes time to work but I think the ssri med(paxil in this case) is a good first thing to try as well as going over all the stresses in your life right now to see if you can indentify what bothers/stresses you the most. Alankay

lady-d73
03-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Thanks for your reply. I am hanging in there, I just want my life back. Do you have any helpful tips?

Caitatonic
03-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Sometimes the medications can take a while to start working, so just hang in there. I find it helpful to try and distract myself with something I enjoy that makes me laugh, or something that requires a lot of attention, such as knitting or driving, to get my brain focused on something else.

lady-d73
03-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Well I'm afaird to drive to far away from my home, thinking that I might have an attack. The meds make me feel tired.

lady-d73
03-13-2012, 11:44 AM
I'm also in therapy.

Caitatonic
03-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Does the therapy help? I've been looking into that myself.

lady-d73
03-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Yes I have had some improvements, but I have only been going for a short while. I know that it takes time to recover from panic/ anxiety.

anxiousmess
03-13-2012, 05:58 PM
hiya donna. i used to have panic attacks all of the time. like really bad. i don't know if i still get them mildly or if it is just anxiety attacks ...or are they both the same lol
anyway, my therapist once told me that as soon as i hear a thought(trigger) pop into my head, to start humming a tune and concentrate on that tune. it seemed to work, and a paper bag, breathe into that.

my thoughts are all related to other people though so i don't know if it would be the same for you. it's worth a shot though :)

jeremyfresno
03-13-2012, 06:44 PM
Hey Donna!

Hang in there! I used to get really bad panic attacks on a daily bases and now I get them very occasionally...however, try to figure out what triggers them as best as you can...also get rid of all the different stresses in your life! Take some time for yourself to recover and meditate on what triggers your anxiety....you will get better just try to think of it as a temporary disorder....and remember the best thing to do is RELAX!! Any questions let me know Kay

PanicCured
03-14-2012, 02:15 AM
Here's helpful tips:

Do not depend on medication! I am not saying don't take them, but I am saying they will not cure you and the cure will come from other means. Anxiety is not cured from a pill. You need to get on a path of recovery which involves working on changing habitual patterns of thought and behavior. Taking the proper natural supplements, doing proper relaxed breathing techniques, counseling, something like CBT, learning coping mechanisms, understanding exactly what panic attacks are physiologically, reading the right books, doing exercise, eating healthy, meditation, yoga, and using as much courage as you possibly can to face your fears head on and force yourself to do the things that cause you to panic.

And learning to say Fuck it! It's just anxiety. Not like a real problem. Not a disease or anything that has any significance or meaning. Just stupid anxiety. The world's biggest bluff! Fuck you anxiety, your a big screaming baby. Go run on home to Mommy, anxiety, before I kick you in the head.

jeremyfresno
03-14-2012, 02:52 AM
Paniccured, nicely put!!

lady-d73
03-14-2012, 09:06 AM
Thank you for all your helpful posts. I am gonna kick panic/anxiety in the butt, because its not gonna beat me.