PDA

View Full Version : How many years will Klonopin work effectively?

fear&anxiety
02-03-2012, 12:37 PM
I've been taking (4) x 0.5 mg Klonopin (Clonazepam) for 4 months, and 2 mg of Klonopin at bedtime for at least 6 years. Is there a chance Ativan would work on my anxiety better than Klonopin at this point?

alankay
02-03-2012, 04:46 PM
It would work but you might need to dose 3 times a day since ativan has a shorter half life. Ativan is only slightly more potent at the cost of not lasting quite as long. All benzos can work indefinitely in many individuals while in others, tolerance and cross tolerance builds. But usually for the anti-anxiety effects the drugs will work long term. If you have GAD more so than panic, stay with klonopin. You really ought to also be on an SSRI to reduce anxiety unless that was tried and failed. PM me any time. Alankay.

fear&anxiety
02-03-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm on Prozac. I got used to the Zoloft SSRI and it kind of stopped working. My doctor tells me to just exercise more, but that isn't helping much.

My diagnosis is bipolar schizoaffective, and I take 20 mg Abilify (at night), 2 x 600 mg Lithium, 20 mg Prozac (morning), 100 mg Trazadone (night time) and 1/2 mg Klonopin in morning, 1/2 mg at noon, and 1 mg at night. (I can't pm you until I get enough posts).

alankay
02-04-2012, 07:44 AM
Is your anxiety peaking or acting up now more so than the recent past?

fear&anxiety
02-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Yes. with the exception when I was on seroquel before I was on abilify. I actually had panic attacks then. But with abilify, I'm dealing with my lower legs wanting to move all the time. It's different than restless leg syndrome. It's just an uncomfortable movement in my legs. Would doubling the Prozac help, so I can talk about it to my doctor?

alankay
02-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Fear, it might or might not be but that would be best, as you said, to run by your doc. Make no changes without his OK. If you've not been on the abilify long this might fade in time. Your doc might even reduce the abilify a bit, etc. His call. Alankay.