PDA

View Full Version : Depressingly Anxious

Eudaimonia3
01-04-2012, 03:03 PM
I'm Samantha. I just started the Anxiety Forum today- trying to get the hang of it! This particular forum caught my eye. I cannot peg exactly when my anxiety started, I'm thinking mid to late childhood. But for the past two to three years, I've been suffering with an immense amount of anxiety. I'm not sure if I as well struggle with depression or if the anxiety just drives me mad to the point that I feel depressed.

Regardless, they're both serious and it saddens me how much it consumes my thoughts and moods. I'm in therapy, was on a very very low dosage of anti-anxiety medicine, and exercise a fairly spiritual lifestyle. I do however indulge in marijuana and other mind-altering drugs. Whether or not those habits alleviate my anxiety or cause racing thoughts, I am trying to figure out what I need to be doing to ease my anxious reality.

I know it is all in a change of mindset and addition of healthy habits but I really cannot even find the stepping stones at this point of my life to get there. I often close in and drift away from my friends, family, phone, and plans whenever I feel extremely anxious.

I just would like to meet some people and get an idea of what they do to heal their anxiety/depression and see if I could contribute any insight to their situation.

Love and Light :)

alankay
01-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Sam, I would drop the pot, etc, like a hot potato and here's why. In order to get an good, accurate picture of exactly where you are and how you truly feel to get the proper diagnoses and then treatment, you need to be off any drugs that may dull, change, create or even exaggerate any symptom(s) you have. Some have even be making you more anxious though it may not apparent at the time. Some can be dangerous and lastly...illegal.
Well it does sure seem you're anxious and the common clinical scenario is to get depressed because the anxiety is effecting your life so negatively and ability to cope is effected.
Sam, you mentioned this has been going on for maybe 3 years. I think it's time you went to your doctor and get a bit more aggressive with reducing you anxiety more. Why? Anyone suffering "an immense amount of anxiety" will have a hard time while in that state getting better doing psychotherapy only. You need to get some meaningful relief to be in a mindset that supports all the learning you'll need to do to really get better. IMHO. UNLESS you are OK doing therapy as you are now.
Anyway I'd meet with my M.D. and let him know exactly how you're doing and if he agrees you need to be less anxious to benefit more and get started down the road or recovering, i.e., up the dose/change meds, etc, do so. The other drugs just complicates things. PM me any time. Alankay

MainerMikeBrown
03-05-2012, 07:24 PM
The choice to use illegal drugs is a major decision. Therefore, it's a decision which requires obtaining knowledge in order to make an informed decision. Anyone who is thinking about using drugs needs to do their homework so they know what they might be getting themselves into.