PDA

View Full Version : Great self help book on anxiety and depression.

squirt
12-07-2006, 03:22 PM
It's called Been There, Done That? DO THIS! by Sam Obitz. It was written by a guy who suffered from anxiety and depression most of his life and tells his story as well as teaches you some simple exercises to help you get rid of your anxiety and depression. The TEA form exercise has been a Godsend for me and I do them nearly every day and they keep me healthy in my thoughts. The more you work on the exercises the more they seem to help as I am still making progress.

derkmesiter
07-03-2007, 12:10 AM
yes, the TEA forms in the Obitz book are solid gold.

derkmesiter
09-19-2007, 05:55 PM
and Obitz's book is still solid gold

Beachgirl
01-31-2008, 04:43 PM
I'm with derkmeister. The TEA's are a lifesaver. I finished my cbt group this past summer and we used the Obitz book in it. The TEA's were by far the most helpful thing I learned and I still use them all the time :D

ron111
02-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Where can you get these at?

squirt
02-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Hi Ron, I got my copy over the internet on the book's website www.tao3.com (http://www.tao3.com)
The TEA form exercise in it is really great if you use them almost everyday for five or ten minutes which I still do to this day and they eventually start to change the way your brain processes stressful things and reduce your anxiety.

squirt
02-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Keep using them and you will feel even better over time like me Beachgirl :mrgreen: Welcome to the site!

Beachgirl
05-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the encouragement squirt :lol: You could not be more right because I am feeling better everyday!

trackstar
06-02-2008, 11:06 AM
I just finished a cbt group and we used this book and it was a great motivator for me. Our leader told us to keep doing the tea forms and we will continue to feel even better and I feel better than i ever have already.

squirt
07-16-2008, 11:00 AM
YW Beachgirl :D
Trackstar, good for you and if you keep working on the TEA forms I think you will continue to make even more progress like i have :mrgreen:

trackstar
07-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks Squirt. I have kept doing my tea forms and I am feeling like I am continuing to make more progress and feeling better. I just hope they become my normal way of processing things soon.

smartshoppimama
08-18-2008, 09:27 AM
I bought the book! I read it in two settings, but I am finding it hard to start. I can't pinpoint my negative thoughts or errors in thinking.

trackstar
09-19-2008, 04:59 PM
I bought the book! I read it in two settings, but I am finding it hard to start. I can't pinpoint my negative thoughts or errors in thinking.
Try starting with the wrist counter exercise and that may help you start catching the negative thoughts. Getting going was the hardest part for me but once you get going they help a lot. Try not to get discouraged because getting started is really hard because it is so new and different.
In the words of the immortal rob schnieder "you can do it!" :)

helpmarcproject
11-04-2008, 06:32 PM
Check out 5 Steps the Experts Wont Tell You! Click on the links provided in the signature block. Don't fall victum to expense programs when all you need to know on controlling your anxiety can be found on the internet for less the $20

trackstar
11-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Check out 5 Steps the Experts Wont Tell You! Click on the links provided in the signature block. Don't fall victum to expense programs when all you need to know on controlling your anxiety can be found on the internet for less the $20
I totally agree. Lasting cures like CBT demand that you do the work yourself so if you can follow instructions all you need is a good CBT book like the one by Sam Obitz mentioned here and some self-discipline.
Is the book you mentioned helpmarcproject a CBT one also? I am always looking for additional CBT material. thx.

docajr
01-14-2009, 02:13 PM
To help with the spiritual and physical side of overcoming anxiety and depression you will find encouragement in my recently published book, Shake Off The Snake: Making The Shift From Wearier to Warrior.

You can read an excerpt and see how the book has been helping others like Toni and Ray:

From Toni

I know that God intended me to read it (Shake Off The Snake) right now. The words, your honesty, the scriptures, everything about it has helped to “fast forward” my healing.

From RGWemer (as posted at Barnes and Noble's website) :

I happened to read this book at a time when I was going through some difficult struggles. Shake Off The Snake gave me the strength and courage to face my challenges head on, with no fear. The book is written in a personable style that almost anyone can relate too. I recommend this book to the new Christian and to the convicted Christian. An uplifting experience for everyone.

Read the excerpt (find it at the website listed below) and be encouraged to move forward with your healing.

Beachgirl
02-07-2009, 10:36 PM
I really am living my life on a more even keel now Squirt. I am still doing my TEA forms and thank you for your encouragement it has helped me to stay with them.

Interesting book title in the previous post about the christian book because Obitz said the TEA form will turn you from being a worrier into a warrior.

trackstar
03-24-2009, 01:54 PM
I really am living my life on a more even keel now Squirt. I am still doing my TEA forms and thank you for your encouragement it has helped me to stay with them.

Interesting book title in the previous post about the christian book because Obitz said the TEA form will turn you from being a worrier into a warrior.

Good for you and I love the Warrior quote!

tmays
05-16-2009, 11:30 AM
awesome post and awesome book. I love the TEa forms

trackstar
06-13-2009, 08:36 AM
awesome post and awesome book. I love the TEa forms

Glad they are working for you too :)

tmays
06-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks trackstar. I enjoy reading your insights on here.

micmic
07-06-2009, 12:00 PM
definitely going to check this out:)

tmays
07-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Micmic if you do the TEA forms everyday they will help you change the way you process things in your head and you will feel a lot better. It's two steps forward one step back like anything new, but it really does build on itself inside of you and so worth the work you put into them.

dtrotter
07-19-2009, 11:26 PM
You should add in the power of now by ectoc cheko

trackstar
10-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Micmic if you do the TEA forms everyday they will help you change the way you process things in your head and you will feel a lot better. It's two steps forward one step back like anything new, but it really does build on itself inside of you and so worth the work you put into them.

I agree and well characterized here :)

squirt
10-14-2009, 02:13 PM

This is great to hear :D Keep at them and I think you can continue to make even more progress because I am still doing them and growing and learning all the time :mrgreen:

tmays
11-25-2009, 07:32 PM

I agree and well characterized here :)

Thanks. Always nice to have validation from peoplem who have been at this longer than I have :D

trackstar
12-15-2009, 04:30 PM
You're welcome and have a Merry Christmas everyone :tongue:

luther
01-01-2010, 12:23 AM
yeah....i had also gone through the Obitz book....and it's quite effective...and it's kind of new experience with that....!

tmays
01-19-2010, 04:34 PM
yeah....i had also gone through the Obitz book....and it's quite effective...and it's kind of new experience with that....!

Always great to hear from others that are having success with the Obitz book and his TEA form exercise, very encouraging. Hopefully we can keep supporting each other and get to the point where people like trackstar are already :) I can't believe how far I have come already :mrgreen:

squirt
03-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Good job Luther. If you do the TEA forms everyday eventually you don't need to do them as often because you start to make their thinking your natural way of thinking. That is a truly great feeling too when that starts to happen :mrgreen:

tmays
04-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Good job Luther. If you do the TEA forms everyday eventually you don't need to do them as often because you start to make their thinking your natural way of thinking. That is a truly great feeling too when that starts to happen :mrgreen:

No doubt!
Hey Luther how's it going? Hope you are doing great my friend :)

trackstar
05-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Hey Tmays I just backed up your rec on another thread here. Great to see you are having success with the Tea forms and staying with them. I can honestly say I have not regretted a minute I have spent on them and the benefits keep coming. Keep it up and you'll feel even better than you already do now :notice: :notice:

squirt
06-13-2010, 11:30 AM

Great job Luther and Tmays and thanks for the positivity trackstar :mrgreen:

tmays
06-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Thx everyone and great to hear!

Anthony DiClementi
06-24-2010, 07:58 PM
I've seen this booked mentioned in a few different posts on this forum. I'm going to have to check it out.

Beachgirl
07-16-2010, 05:04 PM
I've seen this booked mentioned in a few different posts on this forum. I'm going to have to check it out.

I think you will like it Anthony and the TEA forms are really helpful. It's a short and confidence building book :)

tmays
07-28-2010, 06:18 PM

I think it will give you a better understanding for how the CBT process works by attacking anxiety where it starts... In your thoughts :)

JCJC777
07-29-2010, 07:06 AM
thank you!

trackstar
09-05-2010, 12:56 PM

Great job Luther and Tmays and thanks for the positivity trackstar :mrgreen:

You're welcome and you are too jcjc777 :tongue:

tmays
10-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Hey Trackstar I always appreciate how positive your posts are too :mrgreen:

Beachgirl
10-25-2010, 02:01 PM
thank you!

You're welcome. I hope you are feeling better?

tmays
12-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Hope everyone is ready for the holidays? I love the look of the new site but does anyone else keep having to log back in?

niceguy1
12-28-2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks squirt for all the info.

maryC
01-03-2011, 07:45 AM
Hi
I am new here and have been living a much less anxious life since becomiing a parent - it seemed to take the emphasis of myself and I benefitted from that. But... I think that there is something genetic as my son is now suffering from anxiety attacks. I think that I have found a good source of info in the Anxiety Free Children Program which I have just got. Does anyone know it? I notice that there is a link to it somewhere on this site but in case anyone is interested, here is another. The Anxiety Free Child Program (http://joannamc.afchild.hop.clickbank.net)
Let me know if any of you have any experience of it, or if you know of any other programs or literature for kids.
Thank you and good wishes to all

Beachgirl
01-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Hope everyone is ready for the holidays? I love the look of the new site but does anyone else keep having to log back in?

Once I got logged in I have not had any probs fwiw.

Beachgirl
01-23-2011, 09:30 PM
welcome niceguy1 and maryc :)

Beachgirl
03-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Tmays I miss you and hope you come back soon. I hope you are not still having difficulties with the site? It's working great for me :)

squirt
05-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Hey Everyone!
Just found my way back here and great to see the spam is finally gone. How's everybody doing?

Beachgirl
08-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Welcome back squirt. So nice not having all that spam here now :)

squirt
10-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Welcome back squirt. So nice not having all that spam here now :)

Thanks and soo true :)

Beachgirl
12-05-2011, 05:34 PM
How's life going for you squirt? I'm great!

BradleyWin
12-17-2011, 07:27 AM
He who loves 50 people has 50 woes; he who loves no one has no woes.

VinnyFromGermany
12-18-2011, 09:24 AM
Even Napoleon had his Watergate.

Beachgirl
12-22-2011, 04:49 PM
He who loves 50 people has 50 woes; he who loves no one has no woes.

But a lot of emptiness inside I'll bet. Better to learn how to deal with woes because they are inevitable in life no matter if you love or not.

trackstar
01-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Looks like this thread got hijacked by philosophers lol.... Bottom line CBT and the TEA forms are what will get you bettter if you do them daily!

trackstar
01-09-2012, 03:55 PM
What is with this 50 woes guy... he posted that on several different threads???

Happy New Year everybody!

nowglad
01-10-2012, 07:40 PM
BradelyWin, I hope you find 50 loves and 0 woes lol. You deserve to be in love and free of worry. :D

bryan kellogg
01-18-2012, 01:02 AM
Thanks and soo true :)

Hi can you help me see I lost my job then I come Dow with anxiety I don't have that much money I do believe in god and I just need help can you tall me about that book and did you have alote sleeping trouble I am please help me

Beachgirl
02-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Hi Bryan,
Sorry you lost your job :(
That's always hard regardless of the reason. Go to your local library and check out the CBT based book by Sam Obitz Titled Been there Done that? DO This! It's short and easy read and it has a few exercises you can do that I think will help you feel less anxiety if you work at them. If your library does not have the book, you can ask them to either buy a copy or borrow it from a neighboring library and that way it won't cost you a thing :)
Good luck!

trackstar
02-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Hi Bryan,
Sorry you lost your job :(
That's always hard regardless of the reason. Go to your local library and check out the CBT based book by Sam Obitz Titled Been there Done that? DO This! It's short and easy read and it has a few exercises you can do that I think will help you feel less anxiety if you work at them. If your library does not have the book, you can ask them to either buy a copy or borrow it from a neighboring library and that way it won't cost you a thing :)
Good luck!

Good advice, I wholeheartedly concur!

Beachgirl
02-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Thanks. Flattery will get you everywhere ;-)

DenverDave
02-20-2012, 11:58 AM
Hi all - Is this book still in print? I am having a hard time finding it, but it sounds like something could help me out!!

MainerMikeBrown
03-05-2012, 07:12 PM
There's more self-help books nowadays than you can shake a stick at. But I think that's a good thing.

trackstar
03-17-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks. Flattery will get you everywhere ;-)

LOL... I try!

trackstar
03-17-2012, 10:22 PM
Hi all - Is this book still in print? I am having a hard time finding it, but it sounds like something could help me out!!

yes, the book's website is www.tao3.com

MainerMikeBrown
03-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Sometimes, self-help books can be helpful. But they shouldn't be used instead of therapy. Using it while you're in therapy is a better idea.

trackstar
05-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Sometimes, self-help books can be helpful. But they shouldn't be used instead of therapy. Using it while you're in therapy is a better idea.

I would say if you can find a good therapist that's great. I went through quite a few bad ones before I found a good one and I have heard the same story from others. Once I found the one who led my CBT group and introduced me to the TEA forms I have not looked back. I the best thing about CBT self-help books is that the info in them is not a crap-shoot like finding a good therapist is, as they are all based on proven CBT methodologies.
Also one of the first things I learned in my CBT group was the importance of eliminating coercive language like Should and Shouldn't which causes a lot of anxiety.

Beachgirl
05-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Good stuf and I agree trackstar. I used to use should all the time but now change them to "it would be a good idea" and it feels so much more constructive.

tinabeena
05-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Does anyone have a copy of the Sam Obitz book try are willing to sell? I will pay for it thru PayPal :)
Thanks

trackstar
05-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Does anyone have a copy of the Sam Obitz book try are willing to sell? I will pay for it thru PayPal :)
Thanks

Sorry but I still like to re-read my copy when I'm on planes (I know weird but it's good to review and that's when I have time). You can use Paypal when you buy it through the book's website (tao3.com) for about 15-20 bucks brand new.

Beachgirl
06-24-2012, 12:16 AM
Thanks

Tina,
I just replied to one of your posts asking for help with the TEA forms so it sounds like you got a copy? I hope my advice on that thread makes sense and is helpful to you :)

trackstar
07-29-2012, 12:55 AM
Hey beachgirl :)

I hope you are having a good summer!

Beachgirl
08-25-2012, 06:56 AM
I am, but wish it was not coming to a close already.... How about you?

NatalieRegina
08-26-2012, 09:38 AM
One word- Soothetube! This website helps me fall asleep every night and sometimes during the day. :)
They've got sections with just Bob Ross, (If you don't know him, GET to know him.), relaxing voices, meditation vids.
Check 'er out.

x
Natalie Regina

Beachgirl
10-04-2012, 04:48 PM
I don't have problems sleeping but thanks for posting as I am certain that will be a great resource for those here that do have trouble.

trackstar
10-29-2012, 02:50 PM
Sleepings not an issue for me -knock on wood- but good info and thx for passing along!

Beachgirl
11-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Sleepings not an issue for me -knock on wood- but good info and thx for passing along!

Hey Trackstar,

FYI-The link you posted on another thread that had the guy darksydeone who knows Obitz does not work. I know the thread is still there because I just posted on it so not sure why the link you posted didn't work? Hope you are well.

trackstar
01-11-2013, 12:43 PM
FWIW, I think it is working now. I posted it on another thread and just hit that link and it came up :)

Beachgirl
01-28-2014, 08:47 PM
Hey Trackstar the only reason I never responded was I never got a notification response. Found that thread but it looks like that guy has not posted since :(
I like Obitz's blog though now.

nja1
06-16-2015, 08:16 PM
Try starting with the wrist counter exercise and that may help you start catching the negative thoughts. Getting going was the hardest part for me but once you get going they help a lot. Try not to get discouraged because getting started is really hard because it is so new and different.
In the words of the immortal rob schnieder "you can do it!" :)

I've been looking for a wrist counter but can't seem to find one that's relatively discreet and normal looking. I can only find these clunky golf-oriented counters and some super brightly colored ones. Do you know where I could get one or where you got yours?

missedlink
07-24-2015, 11:03 AM
Thanks, will definitely check it ;)