PDA

View Full Version : Could really use some advice on my symptoms

aimee
12-21-2011, 06:49 AM
Two years ago I experienced some mild pins and needles sensations in my arms and legs whilst I was on holiday, when I got back I visited the doctor who advised it was anxiety - I find it strange I would experience anxiety symptoms on holiday as I was in my most relaxed state.

In the summer I kept noticing strange blobs in the corner of my eye and went for an eye test, the optician said I had excellent vision and the blobs were probably a result of stress or anxiety.

Recently I have been noticing a whole host of symptoms, worse than ever before. It started with some minor pins and needles and then muscle twitching all over my body which would be most noticable when I was lying down - thinking non stop about the fact my muscles were twitching. I started to notice my eyes felt funny, I still can't describe the sensation but I guess they would kind of ache and feel a bit fuzzy, almost like you needed to rub them, I could still focus fine and wasn't having trouble seeing anything. My right eye also kind of felt like it was set back further from my left eye if that makes any sense?

The most frightening symptom I have experienced is light headedness and dizziness occasionally accompanied with nausea, sometimes I feel like I could faint. I tend to notice it most when I'm doing certain things i.e. in a shopping centre. When it happens I can't stop thinking about it and it won't go away, in fact it's pretty much the first thing I think about when I get up in the morning and I am now at the point where I anticipate it happening. If I'm not thinking about it i.e. at home I tend not to feel it so much.

The reason I am so terrified is because my father has MS, and I am convinced I have it too. Speaking with my doctor about it the last time (when I went to her about the pins and needles after the holiday) she said it is genetic but I'm technically not at much more risk of having it than the rest of the general population. She said that whilst she didn't feel I needed to I could go and have the tests done if I wanted to. Now I feel I should have the tests done but I don't want too as I'm too frightened it will be a positive result.

I have been googling MS and anxiety symptoms (wrong thing to do, I know) and I remember reading that if you are dragging one of your legs behind you, you should go see a doctor. That has always stuck in my head and now I'm convinced I'm dragging one foot, but I don't really know if I am (does that sound crazy) I think my foot feels weird because I'm constantly concentrating on it and tensing the muscles in my legs, but I can't be sure. In general I find I constantly have to relax my muscles because I am so tense all the time. But on the other hand if I keep noticing my foot feels strange when I walk then that must be a sign there is a problem.

I have previously asked my mum what my dad's first symptoms were (he was diagnosed at 18 - no real effects til his early 40's) and she said his balance was a problem. I have now taken to constantly testing my balance, I don't know if it's any worse than it used to be but I'd say having a light head, dizzy feeling and nausea are making me feel off balance.

In general I am a huge worrier but recently I have been worrying about everything and the minute I stop worrying about something, another worry pops up. I am on holiday from work and I thought if it was anxiety the symptoms would calm down, but they haven't. When I stop thinking about symptoms they do tend to go, i.e. muscle twitching and pins and needles have died down completely, but recently I was thinking about the muscle twitching and now they are back.
Other symptoms I have had include: feeling shaky, i.e. shaky hands, crying at the slightest thing, one night I woke up sat bolt upright in bed and my heart was pounding, dreaming a lot at night, occasional shallow breathing almost like a mild hyperventilation.

Sorry for the huge ramble, sometimes it's nice to just write it all down and get it off your chest. I feel like I'm going crazy but on the other hand I feel like I'm suffering with more than anxiety. If anyone has made it to the end of my post I would really appreciate any advice you could give me.

vonnhelsing
12-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Hey,
Worrying so much isn't going to help you at all! dont google MS it's just gona make you paranoid. i suggest you do the tests just so you can feel at rest when they come back negative. otherwise you'll just keep worrying. worrying too much will lead to anxiety! all those symptoms you described are symptoms of anxiety. you need to acknowledge the fact that nothing is wrong with you! but i do think going to the doctors to rule out any underlying health problems would really help! just try to relax :)

aimee
12-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Many Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate you taking the time to post.
I agree I should go and get the tests, you're right I am living in fear.
My dad is a huge optimist (whereas I am an eternal pessimist) he is coping the best he can, but it is an awful disease and he's not the person he used to be. I think living so close to it makes me even more frightened about it as it's constantly on my mind.

alankay
12-21-2011, 02:50 PM
Yep forwells, I agree(anxiety). I notice when I'm not busy(distracted) I have more time to think about things that make me anxious(or issues/anxiety to take advantage of the "open time"). Plus many folks are suggestive so if I told you that XYZ would be a bad sign, you'd be anxious about at soon too. Talk to your doc. I think you are anxious. Another reason I think so is that you said a key thing("In general I am a huge worrier "). Well that's the beginning of it all as far as anxiety goes when it comes right down to it. The physical manifestations of anxiety are many and all of what you mention are probably simply from anxiety.