PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and palpitations

lindseybrown
12-10-2011, 12:15 PM
hi everyone. I am new to the forums - just joined today. I am a 31 year old woman and have been suffering with anxiety for about 3 - 4 years now. Recently it has been getting worse, but I can't really identify any thing stressful or worrying in my life that could have triggered it. I have been getting bad palpitations at night where my heart rate goes to 100+. This is quite fast for me and has been preventing me sleeping. Its really uncomfortable and now I dread going to bed because I worry that the palpitations are going to come back - vicious circle! I have just been prescribed propranalol for the anxiety and palpitations. Does anyone else suffer with this particular side effect? I just feel like I am losing control of my anxiety and it is invading every area of my life. It sort of just creeps up on my at random times of the day. I don't know what to do anymore.

nina713
12-13-2011, 04:48 AM
I recently starting taking propranolol for my anxiety and palpatations as well. How have you been doing since taking the medication. It worked great for me for about 5 day and then I suffered an attack and stopped the meds. I can't sleep because of the constant worry about me heart. If it not beating too fast I'm having tons ovpalpitationsvpr feeling heaviness on my chest. You're right, it is a vicious circle because loosing sleep contributes to my anxiety and makes it worse. I do have to say that for the few days I took the medication, it did slow down my heart rate and I experienced barely any palpitations. Good luck and let me know how you do.

lindseybrown
12-23-2011, 02:58 PM
I haven't actually started taking the propranalol yet because since the night of the post I have slept really well most nights! How odd! It is so frustrating not knowing what is causing my anxiety!
I think that I would know if something was making me anxious. But thanks very much for the reply and I am glad to know that they worked for you. I found that distraction techniques work the best for me when I couldn't sleep. Am really going to try hard to focus on good wellbeing for 2012!

PanicCured
12-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Just to help you guys feel less worried about your hearts, I get my heart rate up to about 120 bpm during cardio at the gym for about 30 minutes and in that 30 minutes I do intervals of my heart up to 162 bpm for about 30 seconds at a time. I lift heavy weights which gets my heart to about 120 bpm right after the lift.

If you calculate your target training zone for optimum health you will be surprised. Mine is like 109-152 bpm. That is what is considered for my age and size to be the best way to strengthen my heart and cardiovascular system and get the best workout possible.

I recommend everyone google target training zone and do the math. Then you will feel less sacred about your heart rate rising.

Mike_lfc_92
12-24-2011, 10:54 PM
I have palpitations, i've had anxiety for 2 years in august and i'm 19. Also, i've put on some weight because my brain is scared that i will have a heart attack if i work out or do any form of running. Plus my heart will beat faster if i do any exercise because my lungs are working harder because my heart is beating so quickly. Any other tips? Or will i have to see my doctor again lol

alankay
12-24-2011, 11:20 PM
lindseybrown, ahhhhhhhh yes. Well that's a hallmark symptom of anxiety and nothing to be that concerned about. As long as it keeps beating, your OK!!!:) I take inderal(propranolol for social anxiety and it indeed helps). Let it skip a beat, who cares!:) It's all anxiety and your not alone by any stretch!!! Alankay