PDA

View Full Version : Question: Is this typically "normal"

GTanner
12-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Hello,

I have had agoraphobia most my life, although I have been at home most of the time for the last several months I am usually OK to drive the kids to and from events as long as I can stay in the car. However, today was the first time in several weeks that it was neccesary to drop off one of the kids somewhere and will have to go back and pick them up. It was very strange and uncomfortable to drive. I felt very insecure while driving and it really caught me off guard. Is this normal? How often do I need to drive to stay OK with it. I followed all my rules I did not open the garage door until I was in the car. I put on my music and followed my normal route to and from the location. It just felt so weird.

Wondering what your thoughts are??

G

GTanner
12-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Well this forum has been helpful (not) but was worth a try good luck and thanks anyway.

alankay
12-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Sorry no one got back to you right away but although I'm not agoraphobic I bet you it's not all uncommon to have to work to keep you maximum range of travel. It's like damn bully(anxiety) and it helps to keep doing whatever you can to keep desensitized to it(traveling in you safe/familiar area. From my experience anxiety is always kind of looking for a way to mess with you. Expect it, don't overreact of read too much into it. I'd get used to these questions/issues coming up from time to time. I have my own similar issues and I say to myself("of course, sure!! Now's a heck of a good time for anxiety to remind me it's always somewhere, well I happen to know how I'll manage this").