PDA

View Full Version : New Here, Citalopram, Lorazepam

oniowa1982
11-27-2011, 10:33 AM
If you are reading this, thank you for taking the time to do so.

I've never had a problem with anxiety until 2008 when my wife and I started to try and have kids and were running into problems getting pregnant. Long story short...after 3 years and going through one round of IVF I am proud to say that we are parents of a beautiful baby boy and he's 3 weeks old. Back in 2008 I wasn't sure what I was going through. Just kind of felt on edge and really started taking notice to my body and thought I had all of these horrible things wrong with me. Went to the doctor, physicals, number of blood tests to check stuff out including thyroid and everything came back normal. The doctor put me on Lexapro first back in 2008..I took that for a few days and didn't like how it made me feel so he switched me to Citalopram. I took that for a few more days and didn't like what it was doing to me so I stopped taking it. After that things got better.

Then about a month ago I was watching my favorite football team on tv and after the game was over I got up from laying on the couch and all of the sudden I think I had my first ever panic attack and it sucked. I couldn't breath, my mouth felt dry, it was hard to swallow....I quick got some water and went outside for some fresh air. From then on, I've been on edge because it scared me how I was feeling. Before my son was born my doctor gave me a perscription of Xanax...15 .5mg pills. When I felt I needed to calm down I would only take half a pill. Things weren't getting much better and I knew I couldn't be on Xanax nor did I want to be for a long time. So I went back. I started complaining about having chest pain and difficulty breathing. Seemed like I wasn't getting enough air all of the time. My doctor did a few lung breathing tests and listend to my lungs and also did an xray of my lungs. Everything came back fine. Also a few months back I met with a cardiologist to just see how things were going with my heart. My mom gave my brother and I the gift of a heart risk evaluation since she works at the hospital. I had an EKG, they put me on a treadmill, and also did an ultrasound of my heart. Everything was ok.

So anyways...here I am. I've been on Citalopram again for 7 days. 10mg a day. Doctor also perscriped me Lorazepam, .5mg taken 3 times a day as needed although I haven't needed to take it 3 times a day. Since being on Citalopram I have kind of lost my appetite and I'm not eating as much. I've lost like 5-10 pounds. Sometimes I'll feel short of breath. I'm having a hard time falling asleep at night. I think I've freaked myself out by going online and googling anything and everything. Including like drug interactions between the two drugs I'm on and that kind of freaks me out. I always seem like something is wrong with me. I'm a pretty healthy 29 year old male. 6' 250lbs (now). I eat somewhat healthy. Like right now I just don't feel like I'm breathing right...or maybe its cause I'm just noticing it more. Any help or advice will help. Just hope my drugs start working sooner than later. I hate being like this, especially since I'm a new dad.