PDA

View Full Version : The art of understanding.....

AgentSmith
06-23-2011, 06:07 AM

Hi,

I have been in a relationship for almost 11 months. My partner does not live close to me, so we rarely see each other throughout the week, mainly at weekends.
Although I have known that my partner has anxiety in certain situations, I have always been at a loss as to why sometimes a situation would appear to have been blown out of all context, not only by myself but by my partner.

I have recently understood that my partner has levels of anxiety far greater than what I understood beforehand and it is all so clear to me as to why, sometimes, I would expect a response from a non-anxious person, this did not arrive, I get defensive without realising why my partner is acting a certain way - frustration and lack of understanding.....I am sure you can see the vicious circle here.

I myself am working through issues I have with fear, which are subsiding, but have only made matters worse on occasions.

I love my partner deeply, I just want to be there for her but understand more about anxiety than what I do. I really need to work out what the anxious person needs at times. I need to understand what the anxious person feels like, and how actions and situations are percieved by them.

I have realised that I have not understood at all.

Would be good to hear from others that can relate to this maybe?

Thank you.

N