PDA

View Full Version : ANXIETY and OPEN HEART SURGERY/HEART ATTACK - ANYONE HAVE BOTH???? PLS HELP!!

workingtheday
06-07-2011, 03:53 PM
***I KNOW THIS IS LONG. PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ! THANK YOU!!***

I'm 37 years old and had OHS (open heart surgery), more precisely AVR (Aortic Valve Replacement) 4 years ago.

As we all know there are so many different ways an anxiety attack/panic attack can manifest itself. Differen't between individuals who have attacks.

My story:

I had my first panic attack 10 years ago at the age of 26. Sitting on a couch as relaxed as could be. Thought I was having a heart attack and dying. I didnt. After seeing multiple doctors and months of a constant fear of another attack and attacks occuring it was determined I had an anxiety disorder. Had been off and on SSRI's and xananx afterwards. Leading up to the age of 29, It was found a had a bad aortic heart valve and was going to need open heart surgery in the not too distant future. Anxiety came back again unsurprisingly (i had been having it off and on for months at the time prior). Again fast forward two more years, had open heart surgery at the age of 32. It was very succesful and after a bfief 3 months of cardiac rehab was told to go back to leading a completely normal life, nothing was off limits essentially.

Over the past 3 years or so I have been on medication straight for my anxiety. 10 mg prozac daily, 0.5 mg xanax daily, 1 mg klonopin daily. Same amounts, same dosage, nothing higher or lower for 3 years.

Well over the last 8 or 10 months I have uprooted my life with a move from NY to Florida. A lot of change doing something solo in your mid 30's. For the first time since the move, two weeks ago I had what I thought was a SEVERE panic attack, to the point I thought I was going to pass out (I didnt). Drove myself to the hospital expecting them to do some bloodwork, take a look at my valve via an ultrasound and expect to get sent home with a pat on the back and "everything is fine, just a panic attack". Well doctor came back in after bloodwork returned and told me that my "Troponin" levels came back high and after asking what that meant he went on to say it is an early line indicator you may of had a slight heart attack?!?!? What?!?!? a heart attack??? MY WORST FEAR COMING TRUE??? I was kept in the hospital over the weekend, and had a catherization done monday morning. Cardio said everything looked great, EKG's were normal, and he couldn't "exactly" say whether I had a heart attack or not, but i had some "episode" with my heart. BUT it was very minor, that I had nothing to worry about moving forward and I could live my life normally. And was released that afternoon.

To my issue at hand - since the day I left the hospital, two weeks ago yesterday, each and every day, early to mid afternoon I have what would be described as a modrate to severe anxiety attack (at least I hope that is all it is....same feeling I had the day I WENT to the hospital and they told me I had some heart "episode"). It seems to happen almost exclusively when I leave the house in the afternoon and while IM DRIVING. I get panicky, lightheaded, feel like I'm on the cusp of passing out (some of the time, other times not as bad). I rush to get home, pop a .5mg xanax and about 40 mins to an hour later I'm fine. Again this has been every day since being released.

I've been back to my cardio 2x since in the last two weeks. Explained whats going on to him, and he has ASSURED me that I'm ok. I've been to a new therapist (who I dont particularly care for) and he mentioned with my lifestyle changes begining the week before my heart episode (oh I forgot to mention I had put on about 50 pounds in the last year and a half living on fast food, pizza, subs.....just garbage, and had a week prior decided enough is enough and had COMPLETELY changed my diet to fish, chicken, vegetables and fruit...I'm down 17 pounds in a little under 4 weeks also, and while anyone was wondering my Cardio was fully aware of this and didnt think this may have contirbuted to the heart issue) it "was no wonder I was having these anxiety issues". He more or less refused to up my meds, even temporarily in the short term (gave me another .5mg xanax a day). I already have a new appointment with another Therapist.

Has anyone out there dealt with anxiety in there lives, then either had something happen with the heart....valve replacement, bypass, heart attack, and had a real problem with the anxiety afterwards??? Each and every time saying to yourself "well this is exactly how I felt when I went to the hospital and you told me "something" happened with my heart"? And if so how have you been dealing with it or dealt with it.

I would greatly appreciate ANYONE who has had ANY similair circumstances to mine to share a little. Even if its something you havent gotten past but are still dealing with.

I know this was extremely long. Thank you for anyone who took the time to read it all! I wish everyone out there peace, well being, and clarity and I hope to hear back from some of you!

Thank You,

Jay

Anxi
06-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Well I haven't had a heart attack but my anxiety does cause the symptoms you describe, plus it causes PVCs. I've got that under control now with a beta blocker.

More often, my anxiety causes intestinal problems, like IBS. Recently I had my first episode of diverticulitis, which is a serious intestinal infection which can re-occur and needs monitoring. Serious cases or frequent attacks can mean major surgery. Now I am having frequent panic attacks because stomach pain and intestinal issues are a symptom of the diverticulitis, plus they are also symptoms of my anxiety. Trying to sort out which is which and not running to the hospital every time for a panic episode has been trying to say the least. Cramps, pain, gas and bloating are symptoms of both. The only thing that keeps me from running to hospital is that in my case, the diverticulitis pain is quite different from the anxiety stuff. However, the other symptoms are the precursor to the more serious issue so it keeps me worried constantly. All I try to do is adhere to my diet and keep plugging on.

I know that is not much help for you since our situations are vastly different but I can certainly feel your pain.

Itz Omi
06-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Hi Jay,

I don't think I'll be much help since I haven't experienced the same thing (I've had anxiety-related heart issues but have never been told there was any sort of issue), but I did want to say that it sounds like it wasn't really that big of a deal. The heart is stronger than we give it credit for, and even if you had a little "episode" it was probably a one-time deal due to all the major stress you were going through. It doesn't sound like either of the doctors were very concerned. I know that doesn't make it any less scary for you, though! I've had "OMG, I wonder if that was a mini heart attack" worries myself!!

I had an uncle who had his heart valve replaced with a pig valve which served him well. He lived to his mid-80s with it.

I'd just continue eating well and trying to de-stress. Easier said than done, I know, but I think you will gain more confidence in your health if you do so. Good luck!!