PDA

View Full Version : Emapunil - new miracle drug for anxiety?

highplainsdrifter
06-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Has anyone heard of Emapunil (XBD-173)? Apparently, it reduces anxiety as well as Xanax, yet does not cause dependence with long term use. Nor does it cause drowsiness and memory loss. Does anyone know if it's available? Anywhere? I doubt it's available in the U.S. since our government is more interested in red tape than in helping those in need. But perhaps Germany, where it was developed. Or any other non red-tape happy European country? The implications of this drug hitting the market are enormous. Anxiety would cease to exist. Drug companies that make benzos and SSRIs would fold left and right. Perhaps those companies are paying the FDA ungodly amounts of $$$ to keep Emapunil away from us? That's why Europe could be the answer. Anyone know anything?

DaneV
06-28-2011, 03:47 AM
I`m always wary when a new drug comes into that is claimed to be a miracle drug. Benzodiazepines were a miracle drug in the 70s, and it actually took years before they found out it was addictive and habbit forming just like the barbiturates they were replacing. Prozac was stated to be a miracle drug in the late 80s. We now know both drugs aren`t even close to a miracle.

It would be nice, but i wouldn`t get my hopes up too high. And it will take a couple of years before it hits the market, even in europe. If it ever will of course.
I hope to have my anxiety issues under control by then :)

Robbed
06-28-2011, 05:00 PM
I`m always wary when a new drug comes into that is claimed to be a miracle drug. Benzodiazepines were a miracle drug in the 70s, and it actually took years before they found out it was addictive and habbit forming just like the barbiturates they were replacing. Prozac was stated to be a miracle drug in the late 80s. We now know both drugs aren`t even close to a miracle.

Good points. You always hear about how some new drug is a 'miracle drug'. But in the vast majority of cases, it seems like drugs fall FAR short of what they were promised to be. So I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. Another thing to remember is that NO drug would make anxiety 'cease to exist'. Drugs mask anxiety symptoms, but don't cure them. The best you can hope for is good management of symptoms, albeit at the expense of at least a few side effects.

yujiaog
07-25-2011, 09:23 AM
I read an article the Japan pharmacy company stopped the phase II trial and was revising the develop plan from 2005, no news from then.

the following is the article:

For Immediate Release
Nov. 28, 2006
Company Name: Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma Co., Ltd. President: Kenjiro Miyatake
Stock Exchange Listings: Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya
Security Code number: 4506
Revising domestic development plan of AC-5216, an antianxiety/antidepressant agent

Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma Co., Ltd. (Headquarters: Osaka; President: Kenjiro Miyatake; hereinafter called “DSP”) today announced it has decided to discontinue its already initiated Phase II clinical trial in Japan and revise the domestic development plan of AC-5216, an investigational compound discovered by DSP which is in development for the treatment of depression and anxiety disorders.
DSP has been conducting a Phase II clinical trial in Japan for the treatment of Panic Disorder. Novartis, which has been granted exclusive global development rights outside Japan, Korea, China and Taiwan, has been conducting a Phase II clinical trial in North America for the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.
After review of the clinical data obtained to date by both DSP and Novartis, DSP has decided to discontinue the Phase II clinical trial in Japan and revise the development plan for this compound including optimal dose.
DSP and Novartis are currently discussing future development plan.

yujiaog
07-25-2011, 05:39 PM
emapunil:

It is five years already, nothing happened, it seems It is impossible to go to the market.