PDA

View Full Version : Famous Quotes I've saved about worry/anxiety

Itz Omi
06-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Blessed is the person who is too busy to worry in the daytime and too sleepy to worry at night. ~Author Unknown

Do not be afraid of tomorrow; for God is already there. ~Author Unknown

As a rule, what is out of sight disturbs men's minds more seriously than what they see. ~Julius Caesar

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. ~Elbert Hubbard, The Note Book, 1927

The mind that is anxious about future events is miserable. - Seneca

Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each. - Henry David Thoreau

There is nothing so wretched or foolish as to anticipate misfortunes. What madness is it in expecting evil before it arrives? - Marcus Annaeus Seneca

Worry is evidence of an ill-controlled brain; it is merely a stupid waste of time in unpleasantness. If men and women practiced mental calisthenics as they do physical calisthenics, they would purge their brains of this foolishness.
- Arnold Bennett

Cast away care; he that loves sorrow lengthens not a day, nor can he buy tomorrow. - Thomas Dekker

Worry is a complete cycle of inefficient thought revolving about a pivotal fear.
- Anonymous

If we would keep filling our minds with the picture of happy things ahead, many worries and anxieties, and perhaps ill health, would naturally melt away.... Always expect the best. Then if you have to hurdle a few tough problems, you will have generated the strength and courage to do so.
- George Matthew Adams

There are people who are always anticipating trouble, and in this way they manage to enjoy many sorrows that never really happen. - Josh Billings

Our worst misfortunes never happen, and most miseries lie in anticipation.
- Honore de Balzac

Needless fear and panic over disease or misfortune that seldom materialize are simply bad habits. By proper ventilation and illumination of the mind it is possible to cultivate tolerance, poise and real courage. - Elie Metchnikoff

Some of your hurts you have cured, And the sharpest you still have survived, But what torments of grief you endured From the evil which never arrived.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

The good waiting for you will not compete against your own fear, doubts, worries, and complaints. - Laura Teresa Marquez

Worry has been described as a spasm of the emotions, a catalyst for creating a depressed condition within a human being. Banish worry and you will permit the positive emotions of joy and happiness to rise to the surface. Worry is a condition in which the mind spasmodically clutches an idea and won't let it go. That is the reason you are never successful in telling people to quit worrying. They can't quit worrying. Their minds are in an emotional spasm. They are holding onto some obsessive idea and can't let it go. The only way to break the spasm is to insinuate another idea into this spasmodic grip, until the mind lets go of the bad idea and seizes the good idea. Since worry is an irrational thought, you must take worry apart, lay it out, dissect it, cut it up, and look at it piece by piece. Do this with cool, collective, rational thought, and there won't be much left of it. There is so much illusionary vapor to worry that, when it is dispelled, the reality that is left will prove to be quite small and you can handle it. - Norman Vincent Peale

The best cure for worry, depression, melancholy, brooding, is to go deliberately forth and try to lift with one's sympathy the gloom of somebody else. - Arnold Bennett

NashvilleQueen
06-04-2011, 02:30 PM
These are great...printing several copies to post around my workplace and in my car : )

Itz Omi
06-04-2011, 08:47 PM
I'm so glad ou found them helpful!! :)

I'd love to hear any other quotes anyone's collected as well!!

pawsupinthedark
06-10-2011, 12:50 AM
There is nothing so wretched or foolish as to anticipate misfortunes. What madness is it in expecting evil before it arrives? - Marcus Annaeus Seneca

love this one.

also- wish i could purge my brain and its thoughts! hahaha!

smiley
06-11-2011, 05:39 AM
Or I like 'worrying is praying to the devil for things you do not want'

:)

Itz Omi
06-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Ooh, Smiley, that's a great one!!!!