PDA

View Full Version : Misdiagnosed?

Jamie85
03-14-2011, 05:28 PM
I'm a nearly 26-year-old female, in generally good health, being treated for general anxiety/panic disorder, however, I'm concerned that I may be misdiagnosed and have a medical condition and not in fact a mental illness. I've been on every medication available and have been seeing a therapist since October 2010, yet nothing seems to have improved my condition beyond a very slight change.

What are some other illnesses I should ask my doctor about? I'm really outdone with my lack of results, despite all attempts made, and concerned that there may be something else underlying that's causing my anxiety symptoms. (Panic attacks, rapid heart beat, chest pain, tunnel vision, shortness of breath, weight gain).

I've done as much research as I can on my own, but have hit a dead end and any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamie (a newbie)

Jamie85
03-14-2011, 05:50 PM
Howdy Jamie

So whats your story ?? What started it ? Are you a worrier , well were you a worrier before you are now . What test have you had done ? Whats your diet like ??

cheers kev

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply! No, I dont' smoke, I do however drink occasionally (2-4 drinks per week). My diet is vegetarian, and while I do enjoy some unhealthy food now and then, it's not enough to explain the 30+ pounds I've put on since July. I've had a full blood pannel every year for the last 3 years with no abnormal results. I've never been a worrier, nor am I now, this all just sort of popped up out of nowhere about 3 years ago.

Chronic_Perfectionist
03-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Sometimes you have to ask your doctor for more blood testing. A typical blood panel only tests typical things. You may consider asking for a blood test that includes things like thyriod and parathyriod hormones, etc. However, ask you doctor first. These things are generally not checked in a typical blood test. Your doctor may also have other suggestions. These usually require multiple blood tests. However, they can answer a lot of questions.

However, I would not be too quick to rule out general anxiety, etc. These things often take time to get better. I usually need 6 months to a year to get over a bad GAD spell. Other people I know take years. It all varies by the person. Have you ever read "Hope and Help for your Nerves" by Claire Weekes? It is likely one of the best books on anxiety. I would reccommend you take a look at it. She explains all the symptoms that you describe and why anxiety causes these symptoms.

Jamie85
03-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Sorry to fall off the face of the earth like that after asking questions, family stuff.

Did some looking into X Syndrome, which doesn't sound like my problem. But thanks for the suggestion anyway. Anything else?

I'm making an appointment now for more blood tests, thanks for the suggestions.

Again, any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks again!

Jamie