PDA

View Full Version : drinking to cope

kitten123
10-18-2010, 12:48 PM
does anyone else here use alcohol to make them feel better,to cope. i only drink about once a week but it helps me get through the week.when i do drink tho i binge drink untill i can hardly stand.i really want to stop drinking but i know my depression/anxiety will get worse as i look forward all week to the weekend when i can go out and get drunk and its a real distraction to what im feeling or thinking.i know alcohol can make anxiety and depression worse because the day after i feel so bad but thats just for one day,whereas if i dnt drink at all anymore i feel as tho ill feel worse all week cos i have nothing to look forward to,iv tried doing other things like going for meals or to the cinema but nothing brings me as much enjoyment as going out drinking.sorry for long post

birdisontheway
10-19-2010, 12:24 PM
does anyone else here use alcohol to make them feel better,to cope. i only drink about once a week but it helps me get through the week.when i do drink tho i binge drink untill i can hardly stand.i really want to stop drinking but i know my depression/anxiety will get worse as i look forward all week to the weekend when i can go out and get drunk and its a real distraction to what im feeling or thinking.i know alcohol can make anxiety and depression worse because the day after i feel so bad but thats just for one day,whereas if i dnt drink at all anymore i feel as tho ill feel worse all week cos i have nothing to look forward to,iv tried doing other things like going for meals or to the cinema but nothing brings me as much enjoyment as going out drinking.sorry for long post

This can be a common problem for anxiety sufferers, turning to alcohol for temporary relief from their symptoms. While it can seem to work at the time, it will cause more anxiety and damage.

Alcohol is a drug that depresses the central nervous system. Initially, alcohol consumption has a sedative effect and produces a sense of euphoria and decreased inhibitions, seemingly providing relief from anxiety. Unfortunately, long-term effects of alcohol abuse are not so pleasant. Chronic alcohol abuse may result in tolerance, dependency and damage to many organs of the body, including the brain, liver and heart.

I know how easy it can be to fall in this trap.

Try exercise or something else instead :)

mani
10-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Nice replied.I am agreed with your saying.....

Dejasade
10-25-2010, 10:17 AM

Yes. I agree with all you are saying. I don't drink daily....but when i do drink (once or twice a week) it is to excess. It's so much that it's affecting my relationship w/ my boyfriend. There are times I can only have a few and stop. But other times I keep going. I know it has a lot to do w/ my depression and anxiety....
I have tried many different things too (cooking, reading.) I DO exercise and it makes me feel better. But it's just that I look forward to my Friday night cocktail.....
Good luck in your conquest to stop.

brayanscholar
01-03-2011, 06:52 AM
This study examines the opportunities for entry-level drinking of alcohol to cope with the expected size followed for 10 years. In addition, it examines vulnerability to alcohol to cope with stressors to establish between anxiety and alcohol use. Well it is needed at some stage and it is good to get the strong willingness to do so but I think it could be cause damage some case.

meg1
04-24-2011, 02:35 PM
kitten -
I understand this. I am not a heavy drinker anymore either (was for a few semesters in college several years ago), but I too tend to drink with the intention of getting drunk and not just to have 1 drink. Fortunately, I often fall asleep after two, so I don't really make it to that can-no-longer-stand stage, but sometimes I still get there, and I also feel like I *need* to have some kind of alcoholic beverage handy on my nights off from work when I don't have to be up the next morning.

I also realize this does absolutely nothing to help my anxiety - except during the time I'm actually drinking. I don't feel the need to cut alcohol out of my life completely, and it sounds like you are not at that point either, where it's just one or two nights a week, but I think we both need to find a way not to feel like we "need" the drink just to relieve our stress/anxiety.

I have found in the past that if I can make it through two or three weeks without bothering to drink at all....I don't think about it as much on my days off. The down side to this is that the first couple weeks simply suck - but once you break that happy of going to get yourself a drink every friday night at the same exact time, it becomes a lot easier. My problem is that I find this hard to stick to once the holidays roll around. Most recently, my Christmas/New Years with the family was filled with a lot of celebrating and inevitably, a lot of wine consumption. Afterwards, I moved to a new place and my mom bought me a case of wine as a house warming present, so I have it handy all the time now, which is not really the best thing for me.

Try to skip a week. You will probably feel crappy and want to have a bunch of drinks....but just tell yourself you're waiting until the following weekend. Then, let yourself drink. Then, skip a week again. This is how I stopped smoking, and I haven't had a cigarette in three months. :) Try avoiding places where alcohol is served for a few nights...and don't keep it on hand at the house. If it's really a crutch for you...give your debit card to a family member for the weekend (I did this while quitting smoking too, so that I wouldn't wander to the store when I was alone).

And also...if YOU think of any other ideas to try...send them my way, I need the help too...that's why we're all here after all :)

meg1
04-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Oh! One other thing that I do to help me drink less...is start later at night. For instance, instead of getting home from work at 7PM and immediately pouring myself a glass of wine, I do something else first....take a shower, clean my bedroom, do a little laundry, mess around on facebook or watch a show or movie...THEN when an hour or two has passed I get my glass of wine. And I drink it slowly, so it takes me awhile to finish/get another glass. That way, I'm ready for bed before I end up drunk.

Baconflake
07-07-2011, 06:19 AM
If it weren't for benzos, booze, and pot, I'd have been dead years ago.

Rainy
10-10-2011, 03:55 AM
Binge drinking is more harmful than regular every day drinking because it is a big shock to your body and system in one go and can do the most damage to your internal organs. Where as regular drinking allows the body to get used to the amounts of alcohol daily but you will become dependant that way and it will increase your problems by tenfold.
Drinking is a trap for depressed and anxiety effected because as it takes away any inabitions for at least a few hours but after that it will replace this euphoric feeling for a low feeling and that is how you will feel for 2 to 3 days after.

best is to stop drinking alcohol and seek an alternative from your doctor to feel better. Speak with your doctor about this.
Eating before drinking can help reduce your crave to drink ....or simply focus on something else when you think of drinking.

I am a long term regular drinker and I have been trying to stop for years but my anxiety and depression keeps me swinging back for relief. I am still struggling and I guess I always will till I decided I can cope with the situation without needing a pick me up (vicious circle my dears) don't be like me be stronger and smarter.

Believe me this destroys your life, work and social behaviour. I am still picking up the pieces!

Lunabell
10-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Trust me alcohol solves nothing and I have seen the effects and damage it can cause. It is not pretty. Do not let the alcohol fool you! It solves nothing and will DESTROY you. It is a vicious cycle that leads nowhere but down to rock bottom!

evilferret
10-13-2011, 03:48 PM
My boyfriend suffers from social anxiety and panic disorder. He uses alcohol to cope. To escape everything. So he doesn't have to feel or think. To just be numb. It's horrible to see and it affects me greatly. If you are using alcohol to cope, you are an alcoholic. It's a scary thought and my boyfriend wouldn't come to terms with it for a while. But it's true. It has destroyed our relationship. We're practically broken up right now and no longer speaking (which isn't helping my anxiety either). Please, I encourage you so much to seek help. Please talk to people, friends family, and I highly suggest going to AA meetings. It's possible to cope without alcohol. I know it makes it easier for a short period of time, but it does nothing but make you worse and prolong recovery. It also affects every part of your life. It destroys your relationships. Alcohol not being in your life gets you closer to understanding yourself and coping with anxiety in a more efficient way. I wish you luck and feel free to message me if you want to talk.

jon mike
11-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Drinking used to me make me feel like shit the next day but now I've sorted my anxiety to a reasonable level(for me) I can still go out for a drink and feel ok like most people do anyway, I actually get a hangover now instead of living nightmare hell to cope with on a Sunday. exercise, eating well, basically treating your body well will help you more than anything else in the world in my experience, if you really want to help yourself, do some exercise, take care of yourself and give yourself a you day, doing the these things, healthy body, healthy mind, nothing more true!!!! Jon Xx

johno31
06-15-2012, 11:41 AM
Hi
M8 am the same I drink when I shouldn't I do it because am so low and depressed if u have Facebook add me keightley john