PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety from flying

zapatista234
09-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Recently i have developed an anxiety about flying. I have flown since I was a small child and always enjoyed it, but for some reason now I do not. I am not afraid that something mechanical will happen to the aircraft (although in turbulence I won't say it doesn't go through my mind), rather I don't like the feeling of being in an enclosed environment I cannot leave until I'm told to. i take Klonopin, or Clonazepam, and it seems to help, although next time I may have to up it. I know this may not be exactly related to agoraphobia, but it is similar I think.

Is there anyone out there who shares this type of anxiety? If so, what do you do for it? How successful are you at managing it?

Charmbracelet81
09-06-2010, 10:29 AM
I never had issues with flying until this darn anxiety set in. It's not that I am afraid of flying, it's that I am afraid to have an attack while in the air and make a scene, be trapped, ect. Well, I am flying for the 1st time since all this anxiety stuff in less than 3 weeks, and boy am I nervous!

Joeyward
09-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Agoraphobia can cause flight anxiety. I believe they redefined agoraphobia as a fear of places where escape is not easy or an option like a flight. My agoraphobia comes and goes, sometimes I am at ease in all situations, although a few years I was stuck inside for like a summer. Benzo's work well for me on planes, I just flew in may for the first time in like 2 or 3 years. I was sedated and still nervous. Sometimes you gotta just white knuckle it. I find bathrooms are the best place for public panic.