PDA

View Full Version : Hi, my first post

IronMaiden86
06-02-2006, 04:10 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first post. My name is Brad and I'm 19. I dont really have any friends, but for some reason that does not bother me. My issue is getting a job. I am 19 and cant get the motivation to get a job, and I am getting old. I have no work history to put on my resume, so Its hard to get a job. I am afraid to leave my house most of the time. Has anyone had SA this extreme? I just dont see me getting any better. thanx for any replies

anangel4me
06-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Hi there Iron, welcome to our forum. Maybe a good idea for you is finding a job that may offer part time. That wouldn't be a bad start and maybe once you are comfortable with that, you just might want to move up a little. But take little steps first. Try part time and see what happens. Good Luck :D

06-19-2006, 07:09 AM
I know exactly what you mean IronMaiden86.

I'm 19 as well, I've got two friends but we haven't talked in years and I don't mind being alone. In fact, most of the time I prefer it because only when I'm alone with my dogs can I relax; all other times I'm a nervous wreck. Wouldn't be surprise if my hair starts to turn grey soon from stress.

My parents are pushing me to get a job, they have no idea that social phobia exists, they believe I'm just shy or lazy. I just got a job for one day a week, 5 hours or so and it's driving me crazy already with being in front of so many people at all times. Worst 5 hours of my life, feels like the seconds just drag. Not to mention I need to be loud so others can understand me, but my voice gets worn out so easily even by talking let alone talking loudly; not that I can talk loudly, I either talking normally in which nobody can hear me clearly or I shout, and shouting at people won't make them feel like 'valued customers'. If I could, I wouldn't ever get a job, it just sucks to think that for the rest of my life I'm going to be miserable every day I work or even go to the store or to the movie theater. Even days before I have to go to work I'm freaking out telling myself I should just hide in my room and never come out.

This phobia just sucks. I quit school before I got to 10th grade because of it, being around so many people in school was also making me crazy. School was never hard for me(except for math, which is the devil. Even now math is hard for me because I'm not interested in it at all; sucks to be me when I'm working the cash register) but I never wanted to try hard because I was nervous, I figured if teachers knew I knew stuff they'd call on me or ask me to help others. My grades were average but like I said, I never put any effort into it. Ironically, I think my silence in class encouraged most teachers to call on me to answer questions; can anyone say 'most horrible feeling in the world'? Oh yeah, and homework. They had me at school the whole day being a nervous wreck and when I finally have some time to myself to wind down before I sleep I have to do MORE work and be reminded that tomorrow is going to suck too.

I've really only had 2 friends my whole life but I was always on edge when they or others were around. Never sought a girlfriend because of this phobia, probably never be able to. I spend my whole life in my house with my dogs trying to pretend the world doesn't exist, which makes it worse whenever I do have to go out. Maybe the worst of all, I'm the most stubborn person I know of; I'm too stubborn to go out and look for help getting over this, because that'd involve people focusing specifically on me and those are situations I'd do almost anything I can to avoid. Guess I'll work out some way to get over this myself. I've had this problem with people my ENTIRE life so even if I can get over it, I find it impossible to believe I'll ever be comfortable around people.

I'm not sure what I can say to help you with our problems except to let you know that at least one other person has a similar problem as yours. Guess I could also say don't be stubborn like me, get help from someone or you may never get over it.

What I'm wondering is, are there any ways to make money that don't involve being face to face or on the phone with people? I was thinking of saving money from my current job then buy/sell on ebay somehow but it seems very complicated and risky. I've also heard of some jobs like being a video game tester at home or something but that seems way too good to be true. I'm such a heavy gamer that having a job like that would be the same as getting paid to breathe or to sleep, except better because I'd be able to keep the games after. :lol:

kim
06-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Hey 2754830,

You poor thing. I have an idea workwise, and it is actually something I myself have done. You say that you only feel comfortable around your dogs right? I'm an animal lover myself, and when I was at my all time low and found myself unemployed and did not think I could face re-employment or what I could do - I decided to start my own mobile hydrobath business washing dogs and cats at peoples homes. I bought myself a trailer, hydrobath, shampoo's, flearinses, nail clippers, doggie treats (for after the bath), dog cologne, some old towells and face washers (later heaps of clients donated more) and made up a name and registered it. Yes at first you do have a bit of people contact but then as they become regulars alot of them would not be home and would leave money and electricity out and I only had my beautiful puppy/pussiecat clients to deal with. And 95% of the dogs loved having their "bathies" and soon got to know the routine that afterwards you got a doggie biscuit - I used to wiggle my finger and they would all sit eagerly waiting for their treat. It was a lovely job and I made some really cool animal friends.