PDA

View Full Version : Feeling very unreal

Pancthulhu
05-14-2006, 01:16 PM
I can't believe I'm actually posting about this on a public forum, but here goes...
It started about a month ago when for two weeks now I felt almost constantly panicky. I had to walk out of lessons a couple of times because of it. I went to see a doctor and was prescribed Betablockers which stopped me feeling panicky. Now though, I just feel very unreal as if this isn't really happening. I keep having to remind myself that what is happening is happening, even though I know it is. I just feel as if I'm dreaming all the time. My vision is not affected, but I feel detached, as if I'm seeing things in a different way. It's like when you feel tired and you don't totally take everything in, only it's like that all the time. It's really freaking me out. I'm scared I'm going insane or something, although when I went to see a doctor she said I was approaching it rationally.
There are a couple of things I think it could be; firstly, I have A Level exams next month (although I'm not actually that concerned about them). Secondly, I saw a play two weeks ago called 'The Cut' which kind of freaked me out - embarrasingly I have a phobia of blood and I had to walk out the play for fifteen minutes because it freaked me out. Then I worried about why it disturbed me so much, and that was really when I started feeling anxious.
Also, the moment where my anxiety totally started was in my boyfriend's room; about a month before that I had tried hash cake for the first time (I had never even been drunk before). I took too much and it freaked me out, so perhaps being back there was a reminder of it. When I started panicking I just felt like I had to get out of the room.
Have any of you experienced anything like this before? Should I see a therapist or hope it goes away on its own? I'd appreciate some advice. It's really scaring me.

leftie15
05-14-2006, 04:06 PM
hi there welcome to the forum i know exactly what u mean its called depersonalization its very scary i went thorugh this its actually a defense mechinism but u need to understand your not going crazy or anythin like that i would say u were probably someone who has always been nervous but i don't but it seems like you just had a couple of icidents so close togetha they just escalated your anxiety when this happened to me i went to speak to someone about this and its helped alot i went though this for atleast 4months constatnly i thought i was going crazy i was gonna die every bad thng u can think of but as soon as i found out what it was it lifted off my shoulders i would say go speak with a professinal and see what they have to say but also stay away from hash or pot or anythin thats just a getway to depersonalzation good luck and keep us posted

Angel
05-18-2006, 07:00 AM
Yeah, ive been there, before.

On all the topiks that you mentioned.

Depersonalization is a pretty krazy, intense, but harmless feeling, but im going to get straight to some techniques for you to try.

-TRy grounding yourself

-keep open kommunikation with people (ex: phone, online chatting, this forum, talk with parents or a good friend about how you are feeling)

-keep open kommunikation with yourself (ex: writing, typing, musick, positive self-talk)

-always be optimisstik, at these times. This feeling will pass, and when it does, you will feel so much better. This will speed up the process.

-Always, Always, Always KNOW that you have the upper hand. You arent krazy. You arent going to go krazy. Depersonalization is something that everyone goes through at one time or another, and how it affekts you depends on YOU.

If you feel out of it and you think "FUCK, Im Fucking NUTS!!" well thats a problem.

You kan get out of this by stating a counter to this, like "Fuck No, im good, its just a harmless feeling, things might seem a bit surreal right now, but i know they wont stay like this forever."

Oh and edukate yourself about this. Dont just take MY word for it. I'm not the reading rainbow guy.

The word is DEPERSONALIZATION. I highly suggest you look into it yourself, for extra assurance. Kause if you are like me, you will need to read and hear these things for yourself, before believing others.[/b]

Pancthulhu
05-25-2006, 07:29 AM
I will look into it, thanks. That's very reassuring.