PDA

View Full Version : Worsening anxiety -- what is there to do?

Oona
06-26-2010, 05:35 PM
I just joined this community, and upon reading some of the posts here, I feel it necessary for me to vent out a little bit... I'll try my best not to make this the length of a life story, haha.

So I am currently 18 years old, I turned in March. I suffer from very bad anxiety. I used to be comfortable in my own home up until half a year ago, my main anxiety triggering location being school. Nowadays I cannot stand sitting in class for 75 minutes at a time, having people even glimpse at me. I feel this obsessive need to fiddle with things, fix things or just simply get out of the room in fear of passing out or something. I am sure most of you can relate? Also, now as I am off on summer vacation, I am not obliged to get out of the house. I do, however, drink plenty of alcohol and such to ease my mind. It is not a good habit, and whenever I am hungover I feel great anxiety. It's a lose-and-gain situation.

I used to be a very confident person, had the best sense of humor and so on. I honestly don't know what happened.

What I remember is feeling this very strong 'pressure' in my head. I slowly developed a fear of blushing also, probably from being around some sort of negative atmosphere in school or something, where I felt judged or threatened by others.

I have tried therapy, and it did not help at all. In fact, I do not want to sound pessimistic, but I think it worsened my symptoms because I started feeling guilty for getting help for my anxiety because I am 'different.' I know this is an extremely naive way to think about it, but so be it, I cannot help these thoughts and opinions... also, I've tried some meds but they haven't really helped.

I think the whole concept of anxiety has gotten 'too close' to me over the past year or so. I feel like my boyfriend/family/friends will eventually get sick of me and leave me be in my own little made up world. I can be normal, but usually I shy out and stay quiet or blush and it's rather embarassing. Especially because I am surrounded by confident people day to day. It makes me feel worse about myself.

I'm really sorry about this long post, but it felt good to vent out :) I'm glad to be part of this community, and I look forward to hear from others and read others' views too. Thank you!

steve03
06-27-2010, 04:51 PM
I have SAD too. You need to realize that nobody is judging you. It makes no sense when you think about it. Do you judge random people in a store? No. Even if people are judging you, why should you give a damn? Are you receiving any treatment like therapy or meds?

timm
07-02-2010, 04:39 AM
Feeling guilty about feeling different and having to get help for it is not naive. I think it's very normal. Therapy can 100% make you worse; As can certain medications. It's trial and error.

I don't want to make you feel guilty, but you know you gotta get the alcohol stuff under control. I used to use sleeping pills to try and calm me down. Lots of people self-medicate.

I'm glad venting made you feel better. If you have to fidget or leave the room, then fidget and leave the room. Or stay and fidget. If you start feling bad about it, say to yourself, "It's OK. I'm not going to be hard on myself."

bsmooth1
07-06-2010, 12:38 AM
im glad you found this community where you can express your feelings ant thoguhts

lunalady
07-06-2010, 05:01 AM
Good for you for venting and welcome :)

Listen, with therapy, it is a trial and error thing. If it didn't help the first time, you can try again. When I was your age I felt embarrassed that I "needed help", but after awhile it got too much for me to handle so I went anyways.

You can also read books to help you understand your anxiety. Hope and Help for Your Nerves by Dr. Claire Weekes is excellent.

Good luck!

sashee7
07-26-2010, 11:31 PM
I feel ur pain buddy. I have such a fear of blushing that i avoid all public speaking, talking in large groups or even to relatives or patients (im a nurse). As soon as i feel uncomfortable i start to figit and when i get really bad i make an excuse to leave the room. I have recently started to recieve councelling and i do feel a bit better but i havent gone back to work yet so we will see what happens then. It was such a bad feeling at school because i was surrounded with such confident people that if anyone said my name in class i would feel a pressure build up and go bright red!
at least now i know im not alone!
:shock:

rothy
07-28-2010, 07:57 AM
I totally get you! when i'm in class i get very nervous when people look my way .. when they look for more than a few seconds i get anxious and i think they think i'm weird or theres something wrong with me.
sorry i don't have any ways to cure this yet though, just wanted to say you're not alone :)

Acannotoundaf
08-03-2010, 04:33 AM
But its not a single consensus, is my point. Its usually two.

Its ironic that I am accused of being too subjective, when others think there isnt more than one point of view thats legitimate.

KrisBlush
08-22-2010, 07:30 AM
There was a point in my life where I can't even talk to anyone because of my blushing problem. My hands were trembling and my heart was pounding when I am talking to someone. It was really a terrible part of my life. I kept on reading books and searching how to stop blushing. Now I am still in therapy and I am really happy with it.