PDA

View Full Version : Success without meds???

jstbtfl
06-03-2010, 04:49 PM
My anxiety has gotten worse and worse since I was about twenty. Now I'm thirty and I get full on panic attacks. I have tried different medications-some made me sick and some made me panic. I have an rx for prozac now but am scared to take it, the last SSRI I took gave me the worst and longest panic attack I have ever had. My question is has anyone out there gotten over anxiety and panic attacks without meds? I have been in therapy for a few months now, and the attacks are farther apart but they still happen. Makes me feel like I have no choice but to try more drugs.

Animekitten
06-03-2010, 06:57 PM
My anxiety has gotten worse and worse since I was about twenty. Now I'm thirty and I get full on panic attacks. I have tried different medications-some made me sick and some made me panic. I have an rx for prozac now but am scared to take it, the last SSRI I took gave me the worst and longest panic attack I have ever had. My question is has anyone out there gotten over anxiety and panic attacks without meds? I have been in therapy for a few months now, and the attacks are farther apart but they still happen. Makes me feel like I have no choice but to try more drugs.
If therapy is making you have less panic attacks, than that means it's working. If meds. made your panic attacks work don't take them.
Just because you go to therapy, doesn't mean your attacks will completely stop, it takes time, so don't give up and go to drugs just yet.

Charmbracelet81
06-03-2010, 09:17 PM
It's true; with therapy the attacks will lessen, but we have to realize the potential is there to have one, we will just have the tools to handle a panic attack better and let it pass. I have been in CBT for 9 months and I have found it helps me tremendously. I have never been on meds (hypochondriac and won't take them :D ). Although, my therapist says if a person is shown to be able to go without meds, that a patient is more likely to do better in the short AND long run with therapy. It has been a long, drawn out, hard 9 months, and I still panic, but I have more of a rational mind now, and know I will be fine; panic has never killed anyone.