PDA

View Full Version : My heart - Anyone have this problem

Irish
04-01-2006, 11:08 AM
I am 17 year old male and live an active enough lifestyle. I seem to get really worked up about my heart at times even when it is going at its normal rate. Usually after i eat a breakfast i feel uncomfortable and think that im getting palpatations but i dont know if i am. It all started over a year ago when i took an extacy tablet, i felt my heart and it was pounding fast i freeked out and was sick everywhere, I was a real laughing stock. Ever since i have sufferd from anxiety and theres always something on my head "Im getting palpatations" "My heart rate is too high" Ive been to the doctors three times this year and he says ive actually got quite a healthy heart, but i cant tell myself that. When i am not thinking about my heart it seems to be fine but when i start to think it annoys me. I even though about suicide because of this. Does anyone have a problem like this or anxios about thier heart ?
I am also going to spain in the summer and am frightend of going on the plane, I know 100% that i will freek out. I dont want to tell my mother or father incase they wonder that im a drug addict or some kind of syco. I was nervous when i went aboar last year but i wasnt as anxious as i am now.

Its great to see that you are here to talk to and it takes some pressure off me that i can tell you. Ive also read through alot of posts in here and i think its a great idea to have places like this. I would be really really grateful if you could give me a few views on this or a few tips. :cry:

Thanks alot and good luck with your own problems.

naomi81
04-01-2006, 12:25 PM
My agrophobia and panic started the same way in which yours did.
I have had my problems for almost 7 years now and 3 years ago I moved to Spain.
I was terrified to fly, but I got through it and this is what I did to cope.

1. Told my parents about my problem and had my mum on one side and dad on the other.

2. Sat at the front of the plane

3. Had a couple of strong vodkas before take off (I don't believe alcohol is a solution)

4. Before flying I went to my doctor and told him about my problem, I asked him to give me 10 x 2mg of Diazepam (valium) (I wanted them as a lucky charm, as long as I new they were in my bag I was more calm) They are still in my bag today! (I haven't taken them)

5. Something to distract you, recommended distraction techniques are simple number puzzles, an elastic band around the wrist that you can twang, sour sweets (the taste distracts you)
a magazine with pictures (list colours, say stupid things to yourself in your head, like "oh that's a nice car" "What a stupid hat she is wearing" count the letters in words on the page.

6. Observe other people, watch how they occupy themselves (realise how boring people really are :lol: )

7. Talk!!! chat like crazy to anybody or anything :)
Tell yourself how strong you are.

These are a few of my coping techniques, hope they help
Naomi

hawthorne
04-02-2006, 11:31 PM
Im not really afraid of flying but i do worry about my heart. I think that its because its something thats unknown that is out of my control. Its so rediculous that I obsess about my heart so much. Im always thinking that im going 2 suddenly just die or something. I really hate it. I noticed that you first felt this way after popping some ecstacy. What really got me going with this stuff was frying on mushrooms. After that i felt like I realized how impossible the universe really is, and that started me thinking about all kinds of other stuff.

lola_golightly
04-04-2006, 12:28 PM
The thing about palpitations is even if you do get them, there completely harmless. Doctors have found that even normal, healthy people without anxiety get periodic heart palpitations. I've had them for about a year. I go through really long bouts of them (like month long). They'll come and go through that time but I’ll get at least 20 of them a day consistently. I'm not dead yet and there's nothing medically wrong with me. Just try and chill out about it even if you do get some, there not going to hurt you. I think you should definitely talk to someone you trust about your anxiety. What I’ve learned about this is that its not my heart that’s making me freak out but my head.

Irish
04-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the replys. I was out drinking last night and as expected I would have severe anxiety today. My heart rate is about 90-100 and Ive had a few palpatations. Im going to go off drink for a while now and see if this gets rid f the anxiety.

Im booked in with a mental health doctor in a few weeks time and I hope he/she can help me.

I'm also going to have a chat with my local priest as I am a very religious catholic.

Anyway you must be getting fed up of me rambling on about my heart :oops: