PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram

drewdundee
04-21-2010, 01:32 PM
Hi all, I've had anxiety for 5 years, been on beta blockers and seen a CBT, and for the most part they had gone, but quite recently I've been feeling down and my anxiety and irrational thoughts have returned. So I finally bit the bullet and decided I'd go back to the doctor to get something for it. I've been prescribed 10mg(small dose of course) of Citalopram, which for the most part I have no issues with, Just started taking it and today is my second day.

I just wanted to know anyone else out there on this and do the have the same side effects I am having such as Clenching my jaw constantly and no appetite at all. I cant even look at food! Which isnt a bad thing I got weight to loose.

drew

njmom
04-22-2010, 07:02 AM
As your body adjusts these side effects should go away. It may take a couple of weeks though. I started lexapro a few weeks ago-not the same drug, the same class and they all pretty much have the same side effects. I have been slowly increasing my dose so the side effects keep lingering as I go up. The decrease in appetite will definitely get better. Instead if clenching my jaw, I keep wiggling my feet over and over. In case your doc didn't tell you, while you are adjusting, your anxiety and physical anxiety symptoms can get worse until you adjust. Usually by the 6th day on a dose I am feeling really good. Today is my 5th day on the final dose and I am having a not so good day, but hopefully by tomorrow it will be better again. Just keep in mind you can get worse and its a normal physical reaction to your anxiety and give the meds a chance to work.

lisaj
06-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Hi all, I've had anxiety for 5 years, been on beta blockers and seen a CBT, and for the most part they had gone, but quite recently I've been feeling down and my anxiety and irrational thoughts have returned. So I finally bit the bullet and decided I'd go back to the doctor to get something for it. I've been prescribed 10mg(small dose of course) of Citalopram, which for the most part I have no issues with, Just started taking it and today is my second day.

I just wanted to know anyone else out there on this and do the have the same side effects I am having such as Clenching my jaw constantly and no appetite at all. I cant even look at food! Which isnt a bad thing I got weight to loose.

drew

Hi, i've been on citalopram 40mg for about a yr now, can't really remember having side affects it's been that long tho, how'ever, i do find they help, my body knows before me if i've forgot to take it

jessicaKloser
07-02-2010, 12:40 AM
Citalopram is an antidepressant medication that affects neurotransmitters, the chemicals that fretfulness aural the academician use to acquaint with anniversary other. Neurotransmitters are bogus and appear by fretfulness and again biking and attach to adjacent nerves.

dark_inferno_22
07-15-2010, 11:01 AM
My jaw does the same thing, its weird, but yeah. I'm on day 2 of taking Citalopram, but I have hope it will work really well. Doctors said I should be on it for 3-6 months.

I used to take Zoloft, but it only helped for the first 4 days so I stopped taking it, I know if I stick to my Citalopram I'll be ok I'll get better.

Pakadillis
08-05-2010, 04:47 AM
Citalopram is an antidepressant medication that affects neurotransmitters, the chemicals that fretfulness aural the academician use to acquaint with anniversary other. Neurotransmitters are bogus and appear by fretfulness and again biking and attach to adjacent nerves.

I do not understand what you are saying? Neurotransmitters are bogus? What you are saying they are not real?

Can you explain what you mean by your comment as I am completely confused but interested in what you are trying to say?

For clarification neurotransmitters are indeed real.... they are not bogus. That comment is litterally making me giggle!

Drugs like citalopram are SSRIs (selective Seratonin reuptake inhibitors).

Seratonin is a neurotransmitter.

This particular type of drug encourages the seratonin to hang around in the synapse for longer (the space between two neurons). This makes it more likely for the next neuron to fire.

This is not gobbly gook ive been told by my doctor this is basic biological psychology that I learnt in my teens!

batista
08-14-2010, 12:26 AM
Citalopram is an antidepressant medication that affects neurotransmitters, the chemicals that nerves within the brain use to communicate with each other.