PDA

View Full Version : Getting help and having to disclose information

candle2008
01-27-2010, 10:57 AM
I have a question concerning getting help. I went to the doc and was given a prescription for meds. I also went to a counselor about anxiety. Here is the problem; now when I fill out forms for the doctor they ask about mental health and medications. How does this affect me?? Im concerned thay may refuse treatment because of this. If I put no, I am considered to be lying if my records are reviewed.

What about working with the condition? I have a great job, but I am concerned about taking the medication and then having to submit a drug test. I cant find anywhere in my employment documents that I cant take a medication, but what happens if the company finds out. I know others I work with take medication, but I dont know if they understand what can happen if the company finds out. When I renewed my DL there was a question about any nervous conditions I had. Do I list this?? Then I have a restriction on my license I have to explain to a company, which will then discriminate against me for this. Is anxiety a nervous condition?? My insurance application was the same way. What I dont understand is how come anti-depressants are the most prescribed medication in America, but people are still driving and living normal lives. DO they let there employers know they are taking a medication?? Why get help?? To me it seems by getting help I just set myself up for more problems. I have been off the medication for a while, but I am thinking of taking it again, unless it will affect my employment status of driving ability.

Thanks for any help!

candle2008
02-24-2010, 04:50 PM
tttt

begnme2
02-25-2010, 11:41 AM
Your medical condition is a private matter. You should not feel any guilt about keeping it that way as long as you want. If an incident happens and you need to disclose something then you can keep the discussion generic enough to maintain your privacy. In my situation I was compelled to disclose it because I agreed to in writing when I obtained my security clearance. I can tell you from my own experience that it was handled very professionally and my honesty was looked on in a very positive way. In my opinion you should get the help you need, by not doing so you would be at risk that things could get worse. I hope this helps. Keep up the fight.

candle2008
02-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Yes it does, thanks