PDA

View Full Version : CBT?

KookieTookie
03-13-2006, 06:26 AM
I've struggled to cope with my anxiety for years without help or medication (partially because i really didn't think anything was wrong with me) but a couple of years ago when i was 18 I think it all got on top of me and I had a little breakdown, I was put on high dosages of anti-depressants that made me lactate milk from my breasts because of some strange side affect they FORGOT to tell me about. Anyway, this alone sent me crazy with anxiety as I was convinced for ages that I was pregnant! Not only this but I was also put on high levels of diazepam to control my panic attaks etc...but this only made me worse in the end as I became dependant on the drug, and found that I couldn't sleep, eat or function normally without them.

To cut a long story short, the last time I went to seek proffesional help for this little problem I ended up worse that what I was in the first place! It took me so long to get myself off the drugs and to rebuild my self-confidence that I just thought "whats the bloody point?" but then some one mentioned to me Cognative behavoural therapy, which i don't really know much about, but I was just wondering if its any good and if anyone feels that its helped them and their anxiety at all? Its something that I'm strongly consdering as I'm finding it all a bit diffiult to cope again and I really need to consider all my options before I go back to the Doctor!

So anyone who has tried this type of therapy, please let me know if it works!! I'm despereate!! :)

onesickfish
03-15-2006, 03:25 AM
I had a course of CBT about two years ago. I was going through a bit of a bad patch and hadn't been able to go to college or work for a long time.

The CBT didn't get rid of the anxiety and panic attacks, but it does equip you with strategies to get over them. If I'm honest I think its the most successful method of controlling anxiety I've tried so far. At least I'm functioning like a normal human being now!

If I were you, I would try it, it can't make things worse! It certainly won't have the scary side effects the drugs had.

Good luck :)