PDA

View Full Version : Knocked for six by Anxiety

b1gd0g
03-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Hello all,
I am new to this forum, but I must say it has already given me a lot of encouragement.
Here's a bit of background.
March 2004 had a dizzy moment in a car (never good), doctor reckoned I might have had a virus as he couldn't find anything wrong with me. Two weeks later - back on form.
September 2004 - Dizziness at work, tried driving home (never good), started having chest pains, pressure headaches, tightness in throat, dry mouth. I mean there was no other explanation than something major is happening here, no doubt a terminal illness that had gone undetected.
March 2005 - walk out of the doctors making a promise to myself that I wasn't going to waste my time going back there again. I had been to see him over 30 times since the beginning of the year and he was still adement that nothing was wrong with me.
April 2005 - Start regular exercise, cut down the drinking (or self medicating as I now call it). Anxiety subsides. Looking positive.
Up until yesterday - the odd anxious moment and bodily pains, but manageable.
Yesterday - The worst kind of pressure in my head. I feel dizzy despite being able to keep my balance, and that a a band is tightening around my head. My arms are tired beyond belief and it is a strain to raise my head.
I know that this is all anxiety but it is the most uncomfortable feeling I have had for a long time so starting to doubt myself.

Hoping you guys might be able to help me through this one,

b1gd0g

soshy
03-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Hi b1gd0g, welcome on board :) . Most people who have anxiety tend over-think things. This is a good trait to have in certain areas of life, but not when we are experiencing anxiety. In some ways, I have thought, it would be so much easier if "it" was a specific disease. Then I would have a diagnosis and treatment plan; but then "OH MY GOD...I'M SICK"!!!. That would be a different nightmare!

The symptoms associated with anxiety are the same with many illnesses; and anxiety has the longest darn list of symptoms! I'm sorry you are having such a hard time.

Because you've been to the doctor often it is highly unlikely that you are suffering from a physical ailment. The things you have described are symptoms associated with anxiety. Though anxiety can make you feel physically sick because of all the natural chemicals our body release during "fight or flight."

The best way to overcome anxiety is to educate yourself on it and to talk about it. I would suggest skipping the drinks. Alcohol's residual effects produce anxiety.

Have you thought of seeing a therapist or psychiatrist who specializes in anxiety?

You do not have to live your life with or around anxiety...it is curable :) !

Take it easy - soshy