PDA

View Full Version : Metoprolol and Anxiety?

kwhite521
08-22-2009, 12:18 AM
Hey everybody, I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of information. Just recently (it's been two days) my doctor prescribed me the beta blocker meoprolol for hypertension. I have a history of anxiety and depression and I take Effexor XR and mirtazipine for these conditions.

My anxiety had been under control for quite some time, but the last two days I have been symptomatic again. I checked on metoprolol online, and a few sites listed anxiety as a side effect, but what I found very ironic is that even more of those sites indicated the drug as a TREATMENT for anxiety.

I used to take klonopin for anxiety, which caused me some problems, and I certainly don't want to have to go back to any of the benzos (personal choice), but these new symptoms have me a bit concerned. I need to treat my hypertension, but I'll be damned if I'll do it and sacrifice my mental health again. I think I would rather have a heart problem than go back to how I used to be when imprisoned by anxiety. :?

Any ideas, suggestions?

meyaj
08-22-2009, 01:46 AM
Like any side effect, it's not universal and it depends on the person.

However, you're absolutely correct that more often than not they treat anxiety, not cause it.

They are nothing like benzos though, and are typically used to deal with the physical symptoms of anxiety (ie trembling.) It's not uncommon for performers to take beta-blockers before a performance in order to calm their nerves.

So, I'd say it's really worth trying out. Chances are you'll be fine... and if not, you can always get off them.

rejanette
08-22-2009, 08:03 AM
I have been taking metropol for a whiel and it's been helping a lot I' m taking half of one and it's been helping... Also i used to be on another beta blocker who make me really sick to the point i was really tired...
Rejane

fernandogress
09-01-2009, 01:59 AM
Patients receiving metoprolol should be advised to avoid abrupt discontinuation of the drug, as severe exacerbation of angina and myocardial infarction have occurred. When discontinuing metoprolol, particularly in patients with ischemic heart disease, the dosage should be reduced gradually over a 1 to 2 week period and the patient should be closely monitored. If angina worsens or acute coronary insufficiency develops, metoprolol should be reinstated quickly, at least temporarily, and other appropriate measures for the management of unstable angina should be taken. Patients should be warned against interruption or discontinuation of treatment without consulting the physician. Because coronary artery disease is common and may be unrecognized, it may be prudent not to discontinue metoprolol treatment abruptly even in patients treated only for hypertension.