PDA

View Full Version : Just prescribed clonazepam

meyaj
08-18-2009, 10:08 PM
Well I've been worried to death about going down the benzo route but here I am. I've got serious anxiety issues but after about a year of exhausting every other option, yesterday my psychiatrist put me on clonazepam indefinitely, 0.5mg twice daily, saying it's got to the point where the dependence issue is being heavily outweighed.

Now I'll admit in the past (I'm not using any drugs anymore) I've tried to use benzos recreationally. I've almost always found benzos to be of little recreational value (not for lack of trying), but I thought I knew what to expect.

Something's not right. I'm admittedly a little less anxious on the drug but I'm feeling very dysphoric. Everything just seems totally bleak. I mean I'm pleased that it's taking some of the edge off my anxiety, but I don't think I can tolerate a world that is just so damn gray... and I say this as somebody who's already been diagnosed depressed. It's just way too much.

My psychiatrist has made it clear that this is likely going to be fairly long-term. I can't deal with this though. The only emotion I can feel is irritation, and this is coming from somebody who's even been on a few antipsychotics (mostly for sleep... I'm not psychotic :) ).

To give you an idea of the meds I've been on for anxiety/depression (I may forget some.)

Lexapro
Zoloft
Wellbutrin
Hydroxyzine
Nortriptyline
Remeron
Trazodone
Effexor
Seroquel
Zyprexa

All of these were well-tolerated except for the last 3, which were awful. As you can see I've tried really hard not to need benzos so I'd appreciate it if people stuck to constructive comments. I've also been undergoing CBT for quite some time now.

So... to my questions. Has anybody had this experience? And if so, will it get better if I take the time to adjust to it?

Also, is there perhaps a similar benzo suitable for long-term use but less likely to flatten my mood?

Any help would be really appreciated, I feel like I'm just going to have to give up soon...

kwhite521
08-21-2009, 12:04 PM
I am not going to rant on all the possible dangers of what you call the "benzo route," but I will issue a strong caution about abuse.

I have a history of alcohol abuse related to my anxiety, and I was formerly on clonazepam as well. Needless to say this was a dangerous combination. It was the only psychiatric drug I ever found myself craving even though I used it as prescribed.

1mg a day is a reasonable dose, but I would caution going any higher than that. As I am sure you know, natural remedies like exercise and meditation are always a better option if they prove effective.

I wish you luck, and feel free to contact me anytime. I am glad to say that I have been relatively symptom free for a while now, and I would be glad to share any tips. Good luck and feel better.

TinfoilxTouch
08-21-2009, 04:44 PM
I really wouldn't worry about it unless you know yourself to have issues with substance abuse or addiction.

The physical dependence issue regarding benzos is no different than those with SSRI’s or most other psych drugs. You need to taper and work with your doctor after extended use, but that’s something I’m sure you’ve experienced with the other meds. The only real danger they have is the fact they can form addiction or drug cravings for more than the prescribed amount.

I've tried all four common benzos over the past two years- first Ativan, then Klonopin, then Xanax and now Valium. I've never had an issue with wanting more than I was prescribed. The first three drugs I took “as needed” up to a given amount each day, and I always had extra left at the end of the month. The Valium is the first one I take on a scheduled basis and I’m not craving more of it at all.

Klonopin (clonazepam) is a fairly long-acting benzo, which also means its less likely you’re going to get cravings than with something like Xanax. Just make sure you take them as prescribed. If you are going to take them at 8am and 8pm, don’t cut it short and take it at 5pm if you’re feeling the urge. That type of thing is the slipper-slope where people start taking a third dose daily here and there, then daily, then you get the point. Take it exactly the same way every day, and if you feel that it’s not working, talk with your doctor. 1mg daily isn’t a big dose at all. You should be fine.

meyaj
08-22-2009, 02:02 AM
Thanks for both your replies. Looking into the medical literature it does seem like these nightmare benzo addictions are almost always associated with people misusing/abusing their medicine. I feel a little more confident in this regard, as even when I was somewhat of a drug abuser (not to a major extent), I never found benzos worthwhile to abuse.

To TinfoilxTouch in particular... what were your experiences like with those 4?

My experience is limited with Valium and Xanax but, as previously mentioned, Clonazepam seems to make me extremely irritable and lash out as people, and Ativan seems to have very strong amnesic effects for me.

With all the anti-depressants I've been on, I've never experienced the mood-blunting "zombie" effects that people describe, but with Clonazepam this is a fairly accurate description for me. I'd like to discuss other options with my psychiatrist. I actually had both Xanax and Valium in mind, but unfortunately we don't have Xanax-XR in Canada. I'm prepared with facts, but I'd like some anecdotes too.

Is there one in particular of the 4 that had less of a negative impact on your mood? I recall having tried Xanax once and being extremely sociable and dare I say happy, but this was just once and as far I know, it may not reflect longer-term usage. So any insight you can give me into the qualitative effects of the drugs would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks again to both of you :D