PDA

View Full Version : help me please!

Miranda
07-03-2005, 05:47 PM
Hi, my name is Miranda. I am often very depressed because I feel so anti-social, but want to be. I always go straight home after work instead of socialize with my co-workers and I look like an outcast. Some days I have a really hard time carrying on a conversation because I get nervous, even with my family sometimes. It makes me feel like a boring person and very lonely sometimes. I've always been quiet my whole life and just thought I was shy, but I'm sick of it and want it to get resolved if I can. I know I'm a great person deep down inside, but I can't be her most of the time. How do I fix this? Love, Miranda

duddits
07-04-2005, 12:25 AM
Welcome to the Anxiety Forum, Miranda. I'm glad you've gotten the courage to look for help. What you're describing sounds like social phobia, but you won't know for sure until you get diagnosed. Millions of people at any given year are affilicted by this anxiety disorder, but there is help. I can't say there is a "silver bullet" cure for it, because there isn't one yet. I can say that there are medications and therapies that are available that can can help you lead an anxiety free life over time.

The makers of Paxil have this social anxiety self-test that you can take by clicking here (http://www.paxilcr.com/Social_Anxiety_Disorder_Test.jsp). After you take the test, print out the report and give it to your doctor. I hope this has been helpful. Feel free to ask questions at any time.

-James :)

Miranda
07-04-2005, 02:47 AM
Wow, that was really sweet of you James, thanks! I took the test and sure enough it was recommended to me to seek professional help. That is scary to me since I've tried convincing myself my whole life that it's just something I'll grow out of or just conquer on my own. I've realized that this is the source of my deep sadness and I'm ready to get rid of this block in my path. Thanks for getting me a step closer! ~Miranda :wink:

duddits
07-04-2005, 09:18 AM
You're welcome, Miranda :D I hope you continue to be a part of our anxiety forum community as it continues to grow dailiy.

-james

shoe
07-06-2005, 07:27 AM
Miranda, I can definitely associate with what you say. I avoid all types of socializing, coworkers have invited me out in the past to hang out with them, and I've always made excuses why I can't. I also have trouble talking with family, even though I tell myself I shouldn't.

I hope you can find help for this, there are definitely resources available for helping out. =)

ajt
09-04-2005, 09:40 AM
I was given Paxil as a treatment for anxiety and it helped some, but it made me very nauseous.