PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like social anxiety disorder? Advice..

cjcj0202
05-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Hey guys, I'm 23 years old, full time student and relatively a very, very social person.. well 2 months ago, I came down with a bad stomach virus that lasted for 2 weeks.. well I was at the grocery store one day and felt really, really sick to my stomach so I ended up leaving. Well since then the feelings have come & go.. if I am out in public, I get very, very tense, dry mouth, feel real sick, and my heart starts racing. It gets so bad I have to leave public places. Once I get outside to my car, I feel fine. I am relaxed when I am at home too. However, if I go down to the store for even 5 minutes, I begin swallowing excessively, my mouth gets dry and I get incredibly nauseous. It seems like me feeling sick 2 months ago triggered this anxiety, it's like I have a fear of getting sick in public.
This has never happened before either. I usually go out on weekends and able to go to public places, but since then it's like I'm almost stuck at my house.

Some places I can go that are better then others. I managed to get through grocery shopping barely. So I went to my doctor & he prescribed me Buspar and Beta blockers, which have done absolutely nothing. The Buspar worked for 2 days & since then everything has gotten worse, side effects got bad, so I quit taking it.

When I am at the store, it always gets real, real bad when I am standing in line & there are people behind me. I get real nauseated and swallow excessively. As soon as I leave I am fine so I know its an anxiety of puking in public.

So... does this sound like social anxiety disorder? I usually always very social and can talk to anyone, like I said, I was almost never home & then came down with this. Now I wouldn't even think about going out to a club or bar.

Anyone know what to do??

Also wanted to add, when I am with my friend or 2 at their house I am fine but as soon as we go to Wal Mart, all the symptoms come on. Ahhh.. this sucks!

rejanette
05-08-2009, 12:09 PM
I feel the same but not at WalMart but Target...
I' m making progresses at first was staying 5 mns at target now 20 to 30 mns... Each times I tried to improve... I do have that when I go to the mall as well... But each times I'm goign I' m making improvements.
Rejane

evaize
05-18-2009, 10:53 PM
sounds like it to me man. the exact same thing happened to me. Research what effects the body has while having an anxiety attack and when it happens just tell yourself that you are fine. Its somewhat worked for me...

fernandogress
07-08-2009, 11:57 PM
I have social anxiety and yes it does sound like you do have it, i refused to get help first of all as i was so ashamed and now i can't leave the house so well done on wanting to get help.
First you need to go to your doctors, if you are in the UK then they will refer you to a mental health nurse who will give you more advice on how to deal with it.
Good luck

leetal007
07-26-2009, 05:51 PM
I have a similar thing which my doc diagnossed as social anxiety and agrophobia. I had come to a conclusion that it is not really related to a person being social or not but to a person being an enviornement in which he feels comfortable. Cause just like you said, once you get out to your car or go back home you feel fine.
Do you have a person that you feel completely comfortable with? My advice will be first of all, go see a therapist. In the mintime, don't ignore the situation that you fear! Take a person that you feel comfortable with and face those places little by little.

for example, i had a problem with taking public transportation, i took my best friend, who knows about my problem and helps me with it, and just started taking buses little by little.

For me it was important to know exactly what was wrong with me before dealing with it.. so i would suggest again.. go see a doctor, do some research and start taking care of your problem.

if you need anymore help, info, or just to talk.. you can send me a msg.