PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Zoloft - please help

Wayfarer
03-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Hi,

The other day I finally went to see a GP about my anxiety/depression, because if I "pass" (or fail??) a "mental health check" :D I can get the government to pay for my first six sessions with a professional.

Anyways I must've passed (or failed) the test with flying colours, because the GP prescribed me Zoloft, instructed me to start taking it and in a week I will see him again and then have my first session with a psychologist (separately).

Even though I'm only on my third day and have only been taking 25mg the first two days - I kick it up to 50mg today - I have already noticed a difference.

First was a nasty diarrhea attack on the first day - a well documented side effect, I know.

But anyway, aside from that, I already feel..... better. I feel a bit more like my "old" self, which it seems is how a lot of people describe positive experiences with a particular medication. I feel more outgoing, more sociable, more comfortable in all situations. It's not a huge, overwhelming change, but it's definitely there.

I have taken the time to read as much as I can find on this forum regarding Zoloft, so these are some questions I still haven't been able to find answers for:

1) Is it actually possible to be already feeling better? I thought it takes at least a week for it to fully kick in and get into your system.

2) I've been reading a lot of comments from people on this board about having negative experiences with Zoloft. They far outweigh the positive comments. Could I please get a "show of hands" of the people who've found Zoloft beneficial? It's an extremely popular drug worldwide and I'd like to think that the negative comments can be explained by the fact that people are more likely to remark about a negative experience than a positive one. Like, it's a naturally vocal minority, right?

Thanks guys....

kermit
04-28-2009, 04:36 AM
Hi,
I was on Zoloft for 3 years and I put on about 15 kilos, which was the worst side effect for me. I found it quite useful for my anxiety but it made me very sleepy and I often felt spaced out and not with it and this is not me at all.

In answer to question 1, it does take a few weeks for it to affect the serotonin levels in your brain so this could be a placebo effect. You've been taking it for a while now, how do you feel? If you still feel good, then it's obviously working.

Question 2 - everyone is different and I did find it quite useful for my anxiety but the massive weight gain (i went from 50kgs to 67kgs) made me stressed and I felt off my face a lot of the time (i think i was on 40mg). I decreased my dose and felt less sleepy (i used to yawn a lot too) but it still helped my anxiety a little.

I guess just see how it goes with you. It took me about 6 months for the weight to accumulate but you might be fine with it.

How are you feeling now?

Cheers,
Kermit (also an Aussie!)

banksia
05-12-2009, 07:20 PM
Ive been on zoloft for 5 1/2 years and i really just want to stop taking this medication. I just want to be natural. I didnt get many side effects really, it went okay with me but at the moment im trying to work with my psychologist in getting off this. But i know its gonna take a mighty effort mentally and physically and im ready for this challenge now.

Im also an aussie :D

fernandogress
07-18-2009, 01:41 AM
Therapy always helps. You may have gained weight because you are still depressed and Zoloft isn't working. . If you can't communicate with your doctor..find another doctor. Some doctors just want to hurry you along..and they really have know idea what's going on with you.
Zoloft affects everyone differently.
First find out if its actually Zoloft that's responsible for the weight gain or if its your lifestyle. Trace back to what you have been doing...You could try to eat healthy (not less) but healthy and exercise. Exercising releases a hormone called serotonin, which is known to be a "happy" drug. I think you will feel good.