PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advice.

T2
12-18-2008, 01:49 AM
It's 2:30 am as I type this, and I'm not even sure I'm in the right place.

I am 24 years old and I feel like my life is going nowhere. I work a seasonal job (9 months out of the year) that pays okay, but offers no benefits of any kind or opportunities for advancement. I have tried finding other work and have had little luck. Interviews always seem to go well, but I always get rejection letters instead of callbacks. Everyone seems to want experience I just don't have, and won't get until I am hired somewhere. I have a seemingly worthless associates degree that so far hasn't been anything but padding on an unimpressive resume, and a waste of money and time.

My social life is also a mess. I live with my parents, have no friends, and spend the majority of my days alone. When I was in school, everyone I knew seemed to have a plan- go to college, get a job, get married, have kids, etc., etc. I feel like somewhere along the way I got lost and never got back on track. My life has no defined goals and I don't know what to do about it.

If anyone can offer any advice, books, or just a point in the right direction, I would very much appreciate it. Thank you.

SUOIXNA
12-28-2008, 04:41 PM
You need to know your 'passions'! What you are passionate about needs to be your focus. Then you will have direction.

IzzyB
12-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Hello T2!
My advice.....
Know who you are. Begin writing in a personal journal, on a daily basis.
Begin writing about your interests....your family...what you value in life.

Make a list of your friends, no matter how big or small the list.

Everyday that you write in your journal, write the 3 things that you are Thankful for. Make them different for every entry.

Slowly, with time, you will find who you really are and things will start to make sense to you.

Try it.

Giz
12-29-2008, 06:29 PM
I agree, knowing what your direction in life is helps a lot, feeling like you have a purpose can be a tremendous help.

So what are your passions? What do you think you would like to do? What are you interested in?
Perhaps its time to channel all that energy you spend feeling bad into something that will benefit you, but first you gotta figure out what that thing may be..

And as far as book suggestions go-try "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne.. Its a bit repetitive, but its trying to reprogram your thoughts, so it has to be..
And a film called "What the Bleep do we Know?" if you can, get the Quantum Edition, it has so much more info, but you may want to watch it in sections as its pretty heavy going!

Best of Luck!

james007
01-06-2009, 06:00 PM
It's 2:30 am as I type this, and I'm not even sure I'm in the right place.

I am 24 years old and I feel like my life is going nowhere. I work a seasonal job (9 months out of the year) that pays okay, but offers no benefits of any kind or opportunities for advancement. I have tried finding other work and have had little luck. Interviews always seem to go well, but I always get rejection letters instead of callbacks. Everyone seems to want experience I just don't have, and won't get until I am hired somewhere. I have a seemingly worthless associates degree that so far hasn't been anything but padding on an unimpressive resume, and a waste of money and time.

My social life is also a mess. I live with my parents, have no friends, and spend the majority of my days alone. When I was in school, everyone I knew seemed to have a plan- go to college, get a job, get married, have kids, etc., etc. I feel like somewhere along the way I got lost and never got back on track. My life has no defined goals and I don't know what to do about it.

If anyone can offer any advice, books, or just a point in the right direction, I would very much appreciate it. Thank you.

I am not a recruiter and have anxiety and mild depression. However my advice to you would be to join the Airforce. Now the key to joining the Airforce is developing a plan and enlisting in a career field that pays well on the outside and stays out of the combat areas. I.E. become an Xray operator. I myself picked electronic and I am now an engineer.