PDA

View Full Version : Intrusive thoughts, will they ever leave?

Bizarre
12-11-2008, 06:01 AM
Im just basically wanting to hear other peoples accounts of their intrusive thoughts and what triggers them and what they do to alleviate them?
I once had this freaky as thought that i was going to go insane and hurt someone I love, I know that i dont want to hurt anyone or myself but my mind has a habit of coming up with a catastrophe. Now everytime I get really anxious or am close to someone I get these intrusive thoughts that im going to lose control and hurt someone. It seriously overwhelms me and I try but I keep getting intrusive thoughts and need some advice or atleast to hear other peoples stories. thanx :(

Robbed
12-13-2008, 03:44 AM
There's a saying about obsessive thoughts that goes something along the lines of 'What you resist persists'. In other words, when you try to fight these thoughts and make them 'not happen', you tend to make them stronger. So what you need to do is learn to accept yor bad thoughts. Allow them to come and go naturally. By doing this, obsessive thoughts will lose their significance, and gradually abate with time. Just keep in mind that it could take a while for this to happen.

Bizarre
12-13-2008, 03:49 AM
Thanx robbed nice advice I can see the truth in this, Ill just have to learn how to accept them no matter how scary. Cheers

Robbed
12-13-2008, 04:49 PM
I should add that the same thing goes for other anxiety symptoms (ie unreality, physical symptoms, etc) as well. Trying to fight them makes them worse. Acceptance and patience makes them better.