PDA

View Full Version : Questioning Reality?? Has anyone else done this?(I'm afraid)

jen1017
11-21-2008, 05:42 PM
So, I'm making another post to see if anyone else gets what I mean.

I for some reason, can't stop questioning reality or like looking around and thinking "Is this real?" "What's Reality?" "Am I real?" "And how do we know?"

It's freaking me out and totally consuming my thoughts.

I understand that there are types of therapy that can work with intrusive thoughts. But can they really help with this type of thinking?

How can someone convince me that I'm real, or that life is life, or whatever??

I don't really feel so detached from reality anymore, but I just can't stop questioning it.

Does anyone else understand what I mean?

Can anyone give me any hope??

gettingoverit
11-21-2008, 09:33 PM
I went through the same them last week when I had my two panic attacks. Yes you are real and this is the same reality that everyone else is in. I mentally repeated parts of songs in my head as I went about the day and it seemed to help. Now I'm 100% better and in reality. You will get better, just hang in there and believe in yourself.

jen1017
11-21-2008, 09:43 PM
I went through the same them last week when I had my two panic attacks. Yes you are real and this is the same reality that everyone else is in. I mentally repeated parts of songs in my head as I went about the day and it seemed to help. Now I'm 100% better and in reality. You will get better, just hang in there and believe in yourself.

This gives me a little bit of hope, thanks!

02Batmobile
11-30-2008, 08:47 PM
Hang in there! I felt exactly like that before. In 2003, I started to have frequent panic attacks and took an anti-depressant that sent my anxiety through the roof as I was adjusting to the medicine. The side-effects were increase in anxiety and feeling unreal. For awhile, I would question reality and what was real or not. I would have a way of thinking similar to the movie the Matrix. I would look for "cracks in the system". I would wake up and check my room to make sure everything was in order. I would check to see if my poster still said the same thing as the night before. When my mom came home from work, I would check the time to make sure she is still coming home at around 5:00. It was really bothering me. After I gotten over the symptoms of unreality and derealization, I would still question things. I'd look at my hands and think, what is this? I'd stare at things and question the reality of them. I now realize that everything is real and the fact that you are feeling and thinking these things jus' mean that you are experiencing anxiety and nothing more. I know what you mean about your faith in getting help about this intrusive thought. You think, "Yea, maybe a therapist can help me stop worrying about getting in a car accident but how the hell can someone prove to me all this is real??" I know exactly what you mean. EXACTLY!!! What helped me was an article on Donny Osmond by Rosie O'donald. He talked about his feelings of unreality. He talked about the movie "A Beautiful Mind," and how he can "relate to it so much. I know how the mind can create and unrealistic world." Jus' knowing I wasn't alone made me feel better.

Hang in there!!

jen1017
12-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Thank you very much for replying, and helping me feel better! :)

freodr
12-02-2008, 04:13 AM
There are so many people who feel like you do (including me). The feelings of unreality are known as depersonalisation or derealisation and are a common symptom of anxiety. The intrusive, worrying thoughts about reality are also a very common symptom. dpselfhelp is one forum for depersonalisation sufferers, probably the best known. The website that i really recommend is anxietynomore, and the blog that is run off the site. These are run by a guy called Paul David, who suffered with anxiety and depersonalisation fo r10 years before recovering, and now helps others get out of it. I cant include the html, but google anxietynomore or paul david to find them. Both are totally free. Good luck and god bless

freodr
12-03-2008, 01:20 AM
one thing i should just add if you choose to have a look at dpselfhelp is that a lot of the people on that forum have had dp for a long time and have consequently become rathe rpessimistic about their prospects. most of these people became dp'd after tripping on drugs.
don't let this get you down. depersonalisation and derealisation are short-term, entirely normal bodily and mental responses to anxiety. if you learn to stop fearing the feelings and thoughts of unrealirty, they will gradually disappear.

jen1017
12-05-2008, 09:10 AM
I'm not even sure if what I have is depersonalization. It's really strange.

Like if I look at myself in the mirror so long I think "Is that me? Is that really who I am?"

And I'm constantly thinking about if this is my life or what.

I know it is my life, I know it's me in the mirror, but I just get this strange feeling that it's not.

Does that make sense?

02Batmobile
12-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Yes! Thats what it feels like and what you are saying sounds jus' like my past experience with depersonalization/derealization. I know it's hard for us to wrap our heads around and accept the fact that it is depersonalization/derealization we are experiencing. You are still worried it's something more severe right? I understand you. When I was first told I was experiencing anxiety, I thought, "No, this is something more extreme and severe like a brain tumor. Trust me, I remember looking in the mirror and feeling fake too. It's a lil' undescribable but it was depersonalization.

Hang in there!

Bizarre
12-11-2008, 05:43 AM
Hi jen seriously I get the same thoughts all the time I even question whether my family are real I often question why life is like it is if its all just a game and it consumes your ming totally. I also physically feel like im not here and other associated nasties. I told my doctors about this and they later diagnosed me with severe derealization and depersonalization. Its been almost 2 years that ive been DP/DR non stop i mean 24/7 so just feel lucky that your'e not me haha, all jokes aside dont freak out to much its a normal process and ive heard that once you eliminate the underlying anxiety it goes away (anxiety is the cause of this). Seriously though if you want to talk further about it msg me and we can chat ill tell you all I know. take it easy ;)

jen1017
12-18-2008, 07:39 PM
I thought I was starting to feel better, but I think I'm getting worse again.

I can't stop questioning reality and it's scary and I don't know why I'm doing it. I just want my thoughts to go back to normal.

I feel like I'm going crazy.

I went to see a Psychiatrist yesterday and I asked about feeling unreal, and she said it was a part of anxiety.

But when I said I was questioning reality she looked at me like I was crazy and I just stopped talking. I didn't want her to think I was crazy.

I'm afraid, idk what to do now.

She said she doesn't think I need medication, and she asked me if I thought I did and I just said, "I have no idea!"

Will I ever be able to stop questioning reality? Cause as of now I don't see any hope for me.

I really think I am losing my mind, this isn't even a normal irrational fear.

fr3d
02-27-2017, 06:25 PM
I thought I was starting to feel better, but I think I'm getting worse again.

I can't stop questioning reality and it's scary and I don't know why I'm doing it. I just want my thoughts to go back to normal.

I feel like I'm going crazy.

I went to see a Psychiatrist yesterday and I asked about feeling unreal, and she said it was a part of anxiety.

But when I said I was questioning reality she looked at me like I was crazy and I just stopped talking. I didn't want her to think I was crazy.

I'm afraid, idk what to do now.

She said she doesn't think I need medication, and she asked me if I thought I did and I just said, "I have no idea!"

Will I ever be able to stop questioning reality? Cause as of now I don't see any hope for me.

I really think I am losing my mind, this isn't even a normal irrational fear.

Any luck so far?

Anxiousexplosion
02-27-2017, 10:24 PM
dp is just part of your anxious state, it is one of the symptoms that come along with anxiety. It goes away when the anxiety does.

Dp as awful as it feels is part of our fight or flight response, the "unreal/detached" feeling, I believe comes from the adrenalin, tuning out our body, and focusing in on "the danger", so we perhaps feel weightless, and ready to attack, or run as fast as we can.

Think, if you were to run from a killer chasing you, you likely are not going to be feeling, or caring much about say, minor aches and pains you get everyday in your feet or back at that moment, you are running to survive. you are running like the wind, weightless.

In a way, it's a beautiful thing (our adrenalin), we become super heroes when it kicks in. It just doesn't feel good, or right to have it when we are in non life threatening instances.

Teafrenzy
02-27-2017, 11:11 PM
dp is just part of your anxious state, it is one of the symptoms that come along with anxiety. It goes away when the anxiety does.

Dp as awful as it feels is part of our fight or flight response, the "unreal/detached" feeling, I believe comes from the adrenalin, tuning out our body, and focusing in on "the danger", so we perhaps feel weightless, and ready to attack, or run as fast as we can.

Think, if you were to run from a killer chasing you, you likely are not going to be feeling, or caring much about say, minor aches and pains you get everyday in your feet or back at that moment, you are running to survive. you are running like the wind, weightless.

In a way, it's a beautiful thing (our adrenalin), we become super heroes when it kicks in. It just doesn't feel good, or right to have it when we are in non life threatening instances.

Sometimes anxiety is like that, but when I was having panic attacks I think a 6 year old girl could have beaten me up.

Kirk
02-28-2017, 03:54 AM
I said to my internal medicine physician one time that some days I wish I was invisible. He then asked me if I would still work and
I said probably and then the conversation shifted.