PDA

View Full Version : Social phobia

chloedanser
03-01-2017, 10:34 PM
I'm new to this site.I decided to join because I'm desperately in need of support&advice.I have a pretty bad case of social phobia.I've been diagnosed with major depressive disorder as well as a couple other illnesses.I'm in therapy and taking meds but I still can't leave the house unless 100%necc.I was curious what meds and treatment have worked for you?The very thought of being in public/social sit. immediately causes my mind to shut down.I don't food shop or socialize in any way shape or form.I have no quality of life.

gypsylee
03-01-2017, 11:33 PM
Hi Chloe and welcome :)

My diagnosis (25 years ago!) was Major Depression, but it's mostly anxiety and social phobia. In fact it's probably Complex PTSD now, after 15 years of emotional abuse by my ex-husband. Anyway, when it gets bad I get panic attacks and have a hard time leaving the house and seeing people. I think with age (I'm 43) I've "grown out" of it a bit and I don't add to the fear like I used to with thoughts of how bad I am compared to other people. Life experience has given me some perspective as well and the older I get, the more I realise everyone has some kind of mental and/or physical issue.

I'm on a few different meds but the main thing for me is staying sober from alcohol (the meds help with that). I also think having a GP and psychiatrist who I get along with well makes a big difference because I don't have much family support. Another thing is my friend overseas who I've been emailing for 10 years and can completely be myself with. In my opinion the most important thing when it comes to mental health is relationships and connectedness with other people. We live in a society where people are more connected than ever - in terms of technology - but many people feel extremely isolated and alienated from each other. We live like kings but anxiety, depression and addictions are epidemic and getting worse.

Anyway, I also take comfort in music, animals, plants, books and computer games. I like to go driving at night (I live near the beach) and that's what I do when my social phobia is bad and I need stuff from the shop.

All the best,
Gypsy x

Kirk
03-02-2017, 03:33 AM
Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear you are feeling so poorly. I would try baby steps in as far as leaving the house.
Build up over time and I believe you can and will overcome this.