PDA

View Full Version : new here..klonopin to valium ..equiv dosage help please!! :)

pinksugar
11-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Hi everyone,

I really need help with this. I have been on klonopin for four months now. I tapered down from 1.5 mg to 1 mg and have been okay with that. But, the klon was making me irritable and depressed for sure.

I only take the benzo once a day, in the evening.

So this past week, I switch to valium. Which I am liking much, much better. But......the dosage thing....

My doc looked at two charts which said two different things. One said 1mg klon equals 10mg of valium. Another had said 1 mg klon equals 20 mg valium.

The 10 mg definitely did not equal the 1 klon. No way. Started getting withdrawal feelngs in the afternoon. So, tried 15mgs. Same thing. Still, w/drawl feelings later in the day.

Got him to rx 20 mg explaining to him that I agree with that chart and not the other based on how I feel. (I had no wdrawal feelings during the day on the klon, but it didn't work well for me.)

I tred taking 5 mgs valium earlier and then the rest at night. No wdrawl feelings the next day. However, I cannot stand how the benzos make me feel during the day. (explained later in post)

However, he would not okay taking it all at once, the 20 mg of valium, stating he has never given a dosage that large at one time. So he rx'ed it as twice a day.

My questions are:

.....Is 1 mg equal klonopin equiv. to 10 or 20 mg of valium? The charts differ.

.......Is it okay to take the 20 mg. all at once, or is it dangerous?

I am desperate for help with this........ thank you so much in advance for reading this and helping me.

If u are still reading, I will tell you my story as shortly as I possibly can. I was misdiagnosed for 9 long months and finally found out I have lyme disease and co-infections.

Beside the multitude of physical and neuro/cognitive symptoms, I have also been in a constant fog twilight-zone type thing, it is horrendous. It was misdiagnosed as just anxiety..and I was thrown on klonopin 3 times a day. Which made the fog so much worse, not better. I tapered down.

I cannot take the benzos during the day because I am desperately waiting for this "fog" to go away from my illness. I just want to feel clear again! But I do get anxiety at night and cannot sleep or relax (due to the lymes stuff) and the benzo thing helps me cope w that.

Finally got my real diagnosis, but do have anxiety as well, from all of this of course, it has been a long road for me and asn't ended yet. I plan on staying on the valium at night for now as I cannot cope with what I have been through....I do have anxiety....and well, they hooked me on these things and I cannot taper down right now, it's not working out.

Thank you for reading if you got this far. :)

Take Care,
Pink

pinksugar
11-01-2008, 06:49 PM
p.s.
my other thought was, I could take the 15 mg of val at 6-7 pm and then the othe 5 @ around 10 pm.

opinions on whether that would be better please?

I am so confused by all this stuff. :(

And still don't understand why docs will hand out doses of klon like candy, having no prob with u taking 1mg or more at one time...yet won't give the equiv of a diff. benzo. Hypocrites!

Thanks again! :)