PDA

View Full Version : Question for people who work with panic disorder or anxiety

blossy
07-28-2016, 02:17 PM
I'm a recently qualified teacher in my early 20s and I have had panic disorder and agoraphobia since I was a child. I have been on Valium twice weekly for my disorder for the past 5 years. These last 5 years I've had periods of severe agoraphobia and pleasant periods of 'normality', but towards the end of finishing my PGCE this year my panic attacks worsened and I am now worried about how I'll cope once I secure a job. I have never had a job before due to being in full time education these past several years. So far I have been unsuccessful in all 7 of my teaching job applications but I keep trying.

I have some questions for people who suffer from panic disorder or anxiety and are able to work. Do you need to take Valium/meds for every day you work? How often do you panic at work? Does the anxiety get worse towards the end of the working day? I often get really nauseous and hence anxious towards the evening if I haven't had dinner by a certain time, so this will be an issue when working. I'd appreciate any responses and advice or coping strategies from anyone who works with these often debilitating disorders. Thank you.

Positivethoughtonly
07-28-2016, 05:42 PM
I used to take meds everyday but I stopped a few months ago. At work for me, the norm is usually in the afternoon or even when I just wake up.

But, besides me you will make it and do amazing. I know the the job applications didn't go well but fall down 7 stand up 8. You will get there. I want you to get there. Good teachers are always needed. You will do it. Sending tons and tons of positive vibes your way.

The Intolerable Kid
07-29-2016, 08:07 AM
I take meds after work only. What age group are you intending to teach? The older the better, I think, with secondary school being best of all. Teaching can be extremely stressful, like any job panic at work will be something you have to deal with. Don't show weakness to your students, if you have a panic attack head to the restroom and get it under control there. Make sure you get plenty of sleep. If eating is a concern try several small meals throughout the day. Good luck to you, teaching can be a real challenge.

blossy
07-30-2016, 06:02 AM
I teach FE students, who are generally quite badly behaved. I have two years of teaching experience from my PGCE training but that was only a few hours a week. It's having to do it 9-5 that I'm worried about. I never used to sleep the night before teaching, which of course made me even more anxious the next day.

Thank you for the advice about the small meals throughout the day, that should help with the evening nausea.

blossy
07-30-2016, 08:10 AM
I teach FE students, who are generally quite badly behaved. I have two years of teaching experience from my PGCE training but that was only a few hours a week. It's having to do it 9-5 that I'm worried about. I never used to sleep the night before teaching, which of course made me even more anxious the next day.

Thank you for the advice about the small meals throughout the day, that should help with the evening nausea.

superchick22684
08-01-2016, 09:35 AM
I take meds daily for my anxiety/depression. I'm on 40mg of Celexa and 2 mg of Abilify. As for how often I "panic" at work the meds I'm on and using coping skills make it so that I don't panic a lot. However this morning (unfortunately) is a bad anxiety day for me so far. I find that most of my anxiety occurs in the mornings so I try and keep light responsibilities in the morning and plan the bigger stuff for the afternoons. One thing that really helps me is breaking down tasks into steps so that I'm not so easily overwhelmed.

I know you have been unsuccessful in your teaching job applications but please don't give up. Sending positive thoughts your way.

aml0017
08-02-2016, 09:01 AM
I am no longer on meds, but my personal experience is that I am least anxious at work, just due to being so distracted with my work. I do suffer with bad morning anxiety so often for me going to work is a relief, and my best time is the evening. I have GAD, so obviously your experience may be different due to the panic disorder/agoraphobia. However, stay positive! Don't set yourself up for failure, you won't know how the job will work out until you do it. Apparently your issues have not stopped you from getting your degree and pursuing your goals. The uncertainty is always the scariest part for me. You may end up just loving it!