PDA

View Full Version : And we're back, but this time its worse.

Slammed Vdub
05-29-2016, 05:50 PM
So for a few years i have actually for the main part been anxiety free. But, as of recently it is the worse its ever been, For the past for years i have had some severe sinus issues where i get terrible pressure on my forehead, jaw, teeth, and cheeks. I have had multiple CT scans with nothing showing up besides inflamed sinuses. I am on my 3rd spray which is actually helping alot which im glad for. What brings me here now is this weird pressure and pain on my left jaw near the ear that comes and goes. I really havent found a connection with anything as of yet, but today was worse and we have a terrible thunderstorm. My doctor send me for a MRI of my head to check the veins for restriction and anything else that would show signs of migraines. Nothing came back at all. So, being a hypochondriac naturally all i can think is tumor or something along those lines happening. I cant quite get a grip this time around. Even though i have had a MRI and CT scans with nothing bad coming back, i still cant help but to think of a tumor or infection. My issues is that because it was a MRI of the veins, it wouldn't have shown a tumor or anything similar. MY anxiety is really bad now, its almost full time. It even sent me to get a EKG because i thought i had a heart attack. (came back completely normal) I am not sure what to do anymore as i am loosing hope. My doctor precised me valium but i am too scared to take it. This head thing is winning the battle right now and its taking me to all time lows. Any help/thoughts?
Thank you for reading the essay if you did :)

Brian1992
05-29-2016, 07:07 PM
I'm having head pressure aswell. Aswell as Lightheadedness / brain fog 24/7 it's been almost 2 weeks and they won't give me Xanax and that's the only thing that works. I feel your pain.. They did a MRI / EKG and it came out clear.

I would say talk to your doctor and express your concerns. When you have the pain use the Valium. If it makes you feel better cut it in half.

zms16
05-30-2016, 09:02 AM
You may be surprised how many times I've seen people with exactly the same problem. Take some encouragement with the fact that you're having a completely normal reaction to surplus anxiety. When this happens, your mind can really run away with some unhelpful negative thinking and it tends to imagine the worst case scenario!

Many people try to overcome anxiety consciously but you'll be pleased to know that it's something you can actually do without having to rely on medication long term.

Something you can do immediately is to start practicing a form of focused relaxation. Things like Mindfulness, or what I'd suggest is even better is just going on Youtube and find a self-hypnosis, relaxation recording.

The trick to this working is to listen to it every day. It's only with repeating this process, that you'll begin to find that your anxiety levels start coming back down again and the catastrophic thinking will subside.

Hope that helps!

:)

Ponder
05-30-2016, 04:07 PM
You may be surprised how many times I've seen people with exactly the same problem. Take some encouragement with the fact that you're having a completely normal reaction to surplus anxiety. When this happens, your mind can really run away with some unhelpful negative thinking and it tends to imagine the worst case scenario!

Many people try to overcome anxiety consciously but you'll be pleased to know that it's something you can actually do without having to rely on medication long term.

Something you can do immediately is to start practicing a form of focused relaxation. Things like Mindfulness, or what I'd suggest is even better is just going on Youtube and find a self-hypnosis, relaxation recording.

The trick to this working is to listen to it every day. It's only with repeating this process, that you'll begin to find that your anxiety levels start coming back down again and the catastrophic thinking will subside.

Hope that helps!

:)

Hello there zms16. I think you have nailed the runaway effect of anxiety quite well, however may I suggest the term Intellectualization (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectualization) when it comes to the "many people "trying" to overcome anxiety" as I find a conscious effort usually wins every time? I'm into mindfulness myself and use it regular as a means for my own recovery. Especially since giving up the meds some years ago. I in fact just finished an hour long session of focused control whilst out on a run. Mindfulness comes in many forms, however being conscious is very much a common and vital aspect to using such a tool to overcoming surplus anxiety.

More over, if I may add with respect to suggesting that self hypnosis via YouTube being "better" ... that people beware of both the reliance factor and desensitization effect that comes with long term exposure to such techniques/approaches and or methods. I know this road well! It can be likened to medication with reliance, side affects and dependence in mind. Having said that though; the pros and cons are best assessed on an individual bases. The lessor of two evils when dealing with extreme anxiety or mental illness is imo the way to go when in desperate need to find space in which to breathe. The effort that then must come when stabilized, is to establish just how reliant you want to be on the method of choice that you used to find that space in which to breathe. For many people this is where the Intellectualization (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectualization) comes into play.

I'm neither for or against meds. I am however very much into weighing up the cons and pros from personal experience.

In the above regard, I tend to use Guided Self Hypnosis as the lessor of two evils when it comes to Meds Vs Relaxation Techniques, but find making the effort to practice mindfulness in a conscious state; results in a much more rewarding and longer lasting experience.

Dahila
05-30-2016, 08:58 PM
Mindfulness can be practiced everywhere and all the time, what about practicing it washing dishes. To observe each round, to observe the lather, to focus on what you are doing right now. It is probably the best thing ever. To be right now.
I am the witness to Ponders struggling, and he is truly the expert in what he is talking about.
the problem with most people (I have it as well ) is doing something to get instant gratification. It does not work like that. Mindfulness does not help, it rather a side effect :) of meditation, to calm down crazy mind and to feel better, relaxed, ...........

TreeStar
05-31-2016, 03:26 AM
Slammed Vdub, I think I am like you, I have been anxiety free for some years, and all of a sudden in January, it came back (though it was triggered by something). I honestrly thought I was free from it, but it wasn't the case.

I spoke to a few doctors, and one sent me to see a mental health practitioner. She out me on a course, so right now I'm in the middle of an 'Acceptance and Commitment Therapy' (ACT) course at the moment, we are going to cover mindfulness this week. I have to admit, I have been very sceptical about mindfulness, but I see a lot of people writing positive things about it.

Slammed Vdub
06-02-2016, 07:07 PM
I am still not exactly sure how that relates or helps but i guess some more research will help. I just cant get through a day without feeling like im going to die. And now i always have physical symptoms. And i am a very active person. I go to the gym 6 days a week to help with stress.

Kirk
06-02-2016, 07:52 PM
A number of years ago, I went to my ENT physician with a complaint that I felt like insects were crawling on my head and scalp.
My original complaint was a sore throat. When I told him about the feelings on my head, he looked at me and said what do you want
me to do about it. I said how about an MRI of my head/brain and he said he would have to make up a diagnosis so the insurance would pay
so he said tinnitus. I remember going in for the MRI and the technician asked me how long I had the tinnitus and I said a few months. The
MRI was over and hour and my ENT physician called me the next day first thing and I was all clear. I later found out that tension in your
neck, shoulders and back can cause odd head sensations and headaches.

Slammed Vdub
06-02-2016, 09:53 PM
That is good to know thank you. Im sure these weird sensations can be caused by anything. But im still just worried that the MRI i had for headaches wouldnt have shown something serious in there since it was for the veins.

prince444
06-03-2016, 01:46 AM
Anxiety: Self help,Depression,Phobia,Disorder,Social anxiety,Fear (Road to True Happiness Book 1)
by Prince Jmal

I have a book on kindle that talks all about anxiety and if you need more info you can message me (: