PDA

View Full Version : Had my first attack 3 months ago. Still haven't recovered. Paranoid about BP

Fenderbass2322
05-20-2016, 10:06 PM
Hi everyone. I was so certain I would have conquered this by now, but I have not. Let me give you a short rundown of my story.

3 months ago, I was working from home. I had a ton to do this day, and had quite a bit of caffeine. I had a migraine as well, so I took some excedrin. The bottle said take 1, but I took 2. I decided to take a shower and let the hot water run over my neck. I started feeling weird, so I shut the shower off. As I was stepping out, I felt like I was going to pass out. This normal day took a turn really quickly. I think what really happened, was my bp dropped from the heat and I nearly passed out, but I induced panic from nearly passing out. I was confused why this was happening to me. I eat healthy, and I'm very fit. 25 years old and taking great care of myself.

I went to a 24 hour clinic in a panicked state. They took me back quickly and took my BP. It was very high. 180/110. This was my first attack, so I thought I was dying. The nurses looked at me in shock, which only made things worse. What really made it worse was the doctor. She couldn't tell me anything and just said I needed to go to the hospital because I could be dying. Great advice doc, I'm panicking more now.

I get to the ER, and things slowed down. I felt safer. They did blood work and an EKG on me. BP went back down towards normal levels fairly quickly. I was in and out within 2 hours.

Things seemed ok after this, but I was a little paranoid over my BP. I kept checking it a lot, but I told myself that this was only hurting me so I stopped. I went to go see a GP, and he thought it was just anxiety as well and wasn't worried. My bp was higher in the office again, but I wasn't in a full panic so it was 150/90. Still high, but I knew what was happening this time. He tried to give me an SNRI, but I refused.

I went to see a cardiologist not long after. The nurse took my bp and again, 150/90. I was shaking when I went in from fear, but again, not as high as it has been because I knew what was happening to me. After talking with the doctor for maybe 3-5 minutes, he took my bp and it was 120/80. I felt so relieved. A reputable cardiologist told me everything was fine. I should be good right? Nope.

The happiness after that visit last for about 2 weeks. I suddenly became obsessed over my bp again. I started seeing a psychologist who has told me I have panic disorder as well as possible PTSD from my doctors experience. Apparently 1 in 5 patients that go in for possible heart related issues will develop PTSD, and I feel like I'm there. I have nightmares and wake up screaming multiple times a week. This happened before all of this, but not as frequently. The psychologist is helping, but not as much as I had hoped.

My biggest worry now is that my diastolic BP is too high. Of course it will be higher when I'm under extreme stress because I'm very tense. I check it every morning and the first is usually higher than I'd like, but the second and on are always 115-120 over 75-80. Ideal right?

My biggest worry now is when I'm not checking it away from home. I've checked it after working out before and it can be 150/95-100 which is what makes me nervous. I know the systolic increases, but my diastolic is increasing too much. Even right now, I felt uneasy and checked it and it went up to 140/100. Within 5 minutes, I relaxed and it was back to 130/80 area. I don't know what to do and I keep telling myself it's just anxiety, but I can't convince myself. Help.

Nowuccas
05-21-2016, 06:06 AM
Hey Fenderbass2322,

There is a well known phenomenon called physician induced hypertension, in which stress about the examination causes their blood pressure to rise.

View http://www.mercola.com/Downloads/bonus/high-blood-pressure/download.aspx

Consider signing up for the regular free Ezine from www.mercola.com, because they are the most visited natural health website in the world. I have learned a lot, and my health and immune system have been greatly helped, but I'd disregard their advice on homeopathic remedies, as it is unscientific, and in my opinion any benefits are likely to have come from the "placebo effect".

From a previous post:

"There are some differences between anxiety and panic attacks. While books are written on this topic, the following will attempt to summarize some basics here for a brief overview".

Anxiety Attacks:
An anxiety attack, sometimes referred to as a panic attack, is an unforeseen periods or incidents where there is a sudden fright or fear of intense proportions. These attacks focus on fears that are most often not rational; however the person with the disorder believes he or she is in terrible danger or at extreme risk. Most often these anxiety attacks occur all of a sudden; i.e. they are not planned nor do they come with any type of warning mechanism built in for advance action. Results are that
the person suffering the attack will feel about to faint or near death's door. People who suffer anxiety attacks report the following symptoms, listed in no particular order:
Discomfort or pain in the chest Vertigo or
Dizziness Upset stomach / Nausea Loss of
Control, Loss of Mental Stability Stress
Cold or hot flashes Heart palpitations or
near heart attack Shallow breathing Shakes / Trembling
Anxiety disorder is characterized as having anxiety feelings that are "always there / all inclusive," make people want to isolate themselves from society and hamper everyday activities with others.

Panic Attacks:
On the other hand, a panic attack does not carry with it that "always there" association. In fact, panic episodes generally burst forth, peaking after roughly 10 minutes or so, then ending after about 25 minutes. During a panic attack, 4 of the symptoms listed below (in no particular order) generally make an appearance:
Hyperventilation, Shallow breathing, even to the point of
suffocation sensation...
Increased heart rates Tightness of chest, Chest pain or discomfort
Shakes / Trembling / Sweating Choking
sensation Upset Stomach / Nausea Vertigo
Paresthesias (numbness or tingling sensations)
Surreal feelings Loss of Control, especially
of mental faculties Death coming on Numbing
Cold or hot flashes

The Difference:
The main difference between anxiety attacks and panic attacks is in the duration of the attack and how intense it is for the person with the affliction. While anxiety attacks are less hi-stress, they tend to last longer than the power-packed panic stressors".

If panic, learn an anti-panic breathing method before another attack, so you are proficient.

Advice from a clinical psychologist about panic attacks is to breathe in to the count of 3: ( count: one thousand one; one thousand two; one thousand three) each takes around a second to say to yourself, in your mind, and out to the count of 3. Keep repeating this until the panic subsides, (up to 25 minutes) which will deal with the hyperventilation aspect. Learn to recognise the thoughts which trigger attacks; challenge and reprogram as shown*.

Also learn, and employ either Progressive Muscle Relaxation ( http://www.drcoxconsulting.com/managing-stress.html ) or acupressure tapping / EFT, whichever you find most effective.

Give the Meridian Tapping Technique / EFT a good tryout, to see if it helps you. It is free via mercola.com or www.tapping.com (13 free videos), or www.eftuniverse.com or www.emofree.com or one of the many YouTube videos. Google: "YouTube; EFT videos".
Professionally instructed is generally preferable (Google: therapists; EFT; [your location] ). - There is a version for use in public places at http://eft.mercola.com (if you like, you can claim to have a headache, as you employ the acupressure massage / tapping on your temples, but you would then be restricted to subvocalising: saying it to yourself in your mind: "Even though I suffer from anxiety / panic attacks, I deeply and completely accept myself)."

* REPROGRAMMING:
Use the Technique for Reprogramming Negative Thoughts: It's important to regularly monitor, and deal with a negative internal monologue (self talk), or mental process, such as disturbing thoughts, images, impulses, or emotions, by the process of (a): recognising it, and (b): challenging it immediately. Technique For Re-Programming Negative Thoughts: When you notice something negative, such as: "I can't do this/ am never going to get over this!" or: "Why am I always so useless/such a loser?" or even an image, emotion, or a memory; recognise that it is being generated from the negative part of your mind.

After identifying and labelling it, visualise a large, red, flashing, "STOP!" sign, and/or possibly a stern faced person wagging an index finger at you in a negative manner, then say to yourself as forcefully as you can, even aloud in a big voice, if alone: "I know this tactic: GO AWAY FOR A WHILE !!!" You may want to use either: "ruse", "ploy", "game", or "trick". In the case of an image, visualise a large "STOP" sign, or your preferred version.

Some people go so far as to keep a wide rubber band in their pocket, then put it around their wrist, when they catch themselves backsliding, stretch and release it, as a method of reprogramming their mind sooner, but I don't regard it as being strictly necessary. Remember to remove it, afterwards, if you use this method. Try replacing a negative thought with a positive affirmation of your choice, like: "I am a unique individual, with my own set of skills, and good points", or "I may not be perfect, but I'm doing the best I can, right now".

I'm aware of the opinion that inflicting pain doesn't prevent fear, but the intention is to reprogram, and establish a different way of thinking, by commitment to repetition. It usually takes around 25 to 40 repetitions to establish a new habit.

"Even if we have some vague idea that we are not our feelings or our thoughts, when we are experiencing painful feelings or painful thoughts, we believe we have to feel them or think them just because of the fact that they are occurring to us. But painful feelings can be indirectly controlled by physical action, and changing our present thoughts for different thoughts (since feeling occurs as a result of thinking.) Painful thoughts can be directly controlled by choosing replacement thoughts for the ones that are troubling us. Sure, it takes some practice to change a habit. But it can be done. Of course it can't be done if we choose to believe that it can't be done. But, since the choice is ours, why not choose to believe it can be done, and do it?"

Read: Change How You Feel by Changing the Way You Think by Dennis Greenberger and Christine Padesky, & Change Your Thinking by Sarah Edelman, & "Feeling Good." The New Mood Therapy. Harper Collins.1999. ( updated sequel to his US bestseller about treating depression & anxiety; very comprehensive), by David D. Burns, M.D. Hypnosis is merely a heightened state of suggestibility, in which you are better able to communicate with your subconscious mind; view http://myfavoriteinterests.com/hypnosis/ about what it is, and isn't. 85% of people are suggestible to some degree; 15% - 20% highly so, and 15% - 20% aren't much at all, so you could either preferably seek professional hypnotherapy, or, if not an option, hypnosisdownloads.com has one about stopping negative thoughts.

Check out http://www.wikihow.com/Special:GoogSearch?cx=008953293426798287586%3Amr-gwotjmbs&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=negative+thoughts such as: "How to Get Rid of Negative Thoughts: 9 Steps", & "How to Use Switchwords to Clear Negative Thoughts: 5 Steps".

"I cannot always control what goes on outside. But I can always control what goes on inside" - Dr. Wayne Dyer*.

---------------------------------------------------------------

My previous post about PTSD may be viewed at http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?34480-My-Near-Death-Experience-and-Post-Traumatic-Stress-(panic-anxiety)&p=226428#post226428